Chapter 4: Ivan

Aubrey's POV-

Aubrey's POV-

"Marabella, if you don't mind me asking. How did you die?" I asked hesitantly as I carried a sack full of fruits to the market with her following behind me with the same.

We were selling fruit again.

I had been in heaven for what seemed like forever but in reality it had only been three days since I had wandered out the gates.

Everyday since than, with nothing to do I helped Marabella with selling fruits, which she got from a field behind her house, a different field from the one with the Aspen tree.

Everyday I felt a pull to go to the tree again, but I ignored it by busing myself with picking fruits.

"Well..." she starts while setting her sack on the usual table.

I copied her as I dumped the fruits on the table and began to sort them into piles.

"Me and Dave along with Abby were in our home at the time of the Nazi war, eating supper." She darted her eye around as if remembering the memories.

"Suddenly there was a commotion outside and men came into our home..." her hands slightly shook as she sorted the fruit.

Concerned I reached over a held her hand, silently telling her I was there for her.

She sighed. "They hurt Dave, a lot. They found it amusing when they hurt all of us but after hours they got tired and decided to-you know..." she struggled to finish her story.

I frowned before I pulled her into a hug, reassuring her that she was safe.

At that time me and Marabella had become close friends. Closer than me and Layla had ever been even thought I knew Layla for years and Marabella for only a few days.

Me and Marabella just got along better. Sure we didn't have much to talk about but in silence we worked good together.

She felt like family.

"I'm sorry I brought it up" I apologized into her ear as we pulled away. She gave me a tearful smile before we got back to work.

All we ever did was work. That's all we could really do.

Kids ran around, adults walked around and some worked. Sometimes even people came up to our stand to grab some fruit with a quick 'thank you' and 'have a good day'.

I quickly discovered there was no money in heaven. Everything was with trade.

If you wanted fruit you had to trade another type of food or a blanket. But Marabella already had everything she wanted here so she gave people things for free and everyone loved her.

I loved heaven, I really did. But unlike everyone else it just wasn't home. My heart belonged somewhere else where I didn't know just yet.

It had something to do with that damn tree though.