Chapter 10 (The Little Things)

Mai POV

I woke up this morning with a weight on my hand, I tried to move my fingers but it felt like they were being squished. I glanced to the side of my bed and saw Naru's head on my hand. I smiled. He really is so sweet. Yesterday he showed me a whole new side of him, one I never thought possible.

"Good morning ms. Taniyama. This morning we are going to run a few tests and take blood, is that alright?" My private nurse said, her name was Susie Colleens.

"Yes" I gently lifted Naru's head off of my arm and put a pillow in its place. Susie helped me into a wheelchair and we went down to the medicine wing, were I would be asked questions and give blood.

"You have a very nice friend there with you, he's not left once since the first time I saw him." Susie said as we got into the elevator to go down to the ground floor.

"Really? He is very nice but he doesn't always show it to others"

"He certainly shows it to you." I laughed a little. The elevator doors opened and we made are way to the back.

"I'm going to have the doctor come in and do a check up and we'll see how your doing."

"Thank you Susie, please call me Mai instead of ms. Taniyama, it's to formal." She nodded and smiled. After ten minutes a man in his early thirties came in and introduced him self.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Brown and I will be doing your check up" I laughed and he gave me this weird look.

"No, I'm sorry I'm Mai, it's just one of my best friends last name is Brown."

"That's ok. How about we start off by checking your leg, ok?" He proceeded to unwrap and cut away at my cast. "It's healing very nicely, you should be able to walk on it in no time at all. I think it's time to get those stitches out." I nodded, they feel so weird and it's uncomfortable to have thread in my for head. "Does your chest still hurt?"

"It still hurts yes, but I can talk fine now. It was just hard at the beginning"

"You are making a lot of progress, now this might sting a bit but nothing too bad, ok?" I gripped the sides of my wheelchair as he started to cut away at the thread. It took ten minutes to get all the string out but he did, he re-bandaged my head and moved on. "I'm going to take your blood now" he grabbed a syringe as I nodded. I was never afraid of needles but everyone gets a little squeamish in the heat of the moment. The needle went in to my blood stream, took the blood and was pulled out again now with the sample of my blood. "A lot of kids your age are still afraid of needles and doctors so I'm impressed." I smiled. "You should be all good to go, just call if anything happens. Your blood will be processed and cross checked with the sample we took when you first got here."

"Thanks Dr. Brown"

"Just doing my job" he called ms. Susie back in and we went back up to my room. I started to feel tired again. I rolled my head onto my shoulder and instantly closed my eyes. I haven't had to do anything since I got here four days ago, having to move around even in a wheelchair has made me tired.

Naru POV

I woke up to Mai's empty hospital room, were did she go? I got up and fixed my hair and clothes and made my way to reception. "Can you tell my where Mai Taniyama is right now? I'm one of her Friends."

"Yes of course one second" she looked back at her computer and scrolled through something. "She's with Dr. Brown right now at a check up. She's getting her stitches removed and giving new blood for tests as well as a review on her injuries. She should be done in Around twenty minutes."

"Thank you" why didn't she wake me up? I would have gone with her to make sure everything was ok. I made my way back to her room and read intel she came back. I finished a good four chapters, that's when the nurse opened the door and rolled Mai in. She had a hospital gown on and was a sleep with her head on her shoulder.

"I can take it from here, thank you. How did the check up go?"

"For the most part it went well, she got her stitches removed and the doctor checked her leg and said its healing nicely. The doctor took blood and we just have to wait on the results. Are you sure you got her from here? I'm more then welcome to help her."

"No, that's ok."

"You treat her so well, everyone deserves a person in their life who's just like you." I chuckled.

"Thank you, but she's the only one I really show emotion or feelings towards"

"She mentioned something about that, I will leave her in your hands. Have a nice day." I nodded and rolled her closer to her bed. Placing my hands behind her back and legs I lifted her up. She was getting lighter. It must be because of all the medicine and little portions of organic food they give here. Before placing her in her bed I looked at her face. I smiled when her nose twitched. I slowly placed her in her bed and kissed her for head before sitting back down. She said 'I love you' to me. Does that mean that we are in some sort of relationship, or was it just a friendly gesture? I would be fine with both as long as she meant it. It's the little things that I love about her, the way she turns all red when she's mad, the rose pink she gets when she blushes, her eyes and nose will twitch when she's asleep and her big brown eyes. I don't know what it is about them I just find myself staring into them when ever we lock gazes. It's the little things you notice when you really look, it can even help you find yourself.