Chapter 14 (I Am A Independent Women)

Mai POV

"Good to see you awake Mai. The doctor said as soon as you woke up to get him so all be right back." Monk said letting go of my hand. There's so many questions that I need answers to, but I can't seem to form the words.

"How are you feeling Mai? While you were asleep we removed the ventilator and replaced it with a simple oxygen mask that goes over your face. So write done everything you have to say. Are you in any pain or have trouble breathing?" The mask makes it easier to breath, but I could certainly do it on my own. I smiled and made a thumbs up to show everything was ok. "Well that's good. I have some important information to discuss with your Guardian or care taker."

"I'm guessing that would be me." I glanced up to see Naru stepping forward towards the doctor. "Shall we talk outside?" They both nodded to me and made there way into the hall way. Naru considers himself my care taker?

"Look at that. Naru stepping in to save the day." Monk chuckled. "You know he loves you right?" I blushed. Is our relationship really that readable? It made me smile though. Knowing that Naru is here when I need him the most is very comforting, not just him but everyone. When my mother first died I felt so alone, like no one new the pain I was going through. I had friends but it was hard to open up and tell them what I really felt. For a while all I really knew was a fake smile, the burden was on my shoulders alone, no one needed to get involved in my problems. I had to grow up so fast that I missed vital parts of my child hood. "Mai? Are you ok? You blanked out for a second." I blinked my thoughts away to the back of my mind and smiled. I looked around for something to write with and found a note book and pen. 'Im feeling a lot better. When do you guys think I can actually go home?' Each of them read it over.

"The doctor actually said that you could go home soon as long as nothing else happenes. Your not going back to your house though, your going to be staying with Naru" Ayako said. I blushed. I'm going to be staying with naru? Like in the same house? Am I ready for that? I know we said I love you to each other but I don't know if I'm ready to stay with him just yet. I certainly can't go back to my apartment but I think I rather stay with someone else, like a girl. I grabbed the note book again and wrote, 'do you think their is anyone else I could stay with till this is all over with?' They all read it and looked kinda shocked. "You don't want to stay with Naru? I thought you guys were a thing?" I blushed again and wrote, 'I don't really know what we are. We did say I love you to each other but I don't know if I'm ready to stay at his home yet. I don't want to be a burden to him. He has already done so much for me and I think it's to much for me to stay with him.'

"Mai. You are over thinking everything. I know for a fact that there is nothing more Naru wants then for you to stay with him. I honestly don't think he would be able to sleep knowing you were not with him." Monk said. He got up and sat on my bed. Did he really think that? Does Naru really want me to stay with him? I am pretty tired of being in this hospital bed. I've been here for about two weeks and I'm sick of it. I know that I'm getting better because I no longer feel sick, I just feel weak. I want to be outside, having the sun on my skin and the wind in my hair. I never been a indoors person. I started to remove the mask that was over my face but a hand stopped me. "What are you doing? You have to keep that on." I ignored them and continued to pry it off my face and set it in my lap.

"I can really breathe on my own. I don't need the mask now."

"I'd feel better if you kept it on." I glanced at the door and saw Naru walking in holding papers. He gave them to monk and walked over to me. Looking me straight in the eyes and never losing contact he put the mask back on. I stared at him confused and placed my hand on the mask again.

"I really don't need it Naru. I can breathe fine on my own." I removed the mask again but he placed he's hand on it and put it back were it was.

"Even if it's just helping a little bit, I want you to keep it on." I sighed realizing I lost the argument. Then something accrued to me. I started to talk but everything was muffled and jumbled. I gave Naru my best pleading face and he gave in. He gentle moved the mask so I could speak. "I haven't taken a shower in two weeks. I really feel disgusting, I'm going to take a shower."

"Wait. I'll get your nurse." Naru started to get up but I strapped him.

"I don't need a nurse to help me take a shower or bath. I can do it myself and it just be awkward."

"Mai, you haven't got out of bed in two weeks. You are still sick no matter what you say. There's nothing wrong with a little help." The others left when Naru came in saying that they were going to get tea. So it was just Naru and me having this Conversation.

"I feel so useless and dependent on others. I just want to prove to my self that I am still capable of being a independent women."

"I will have to go and ask the doctor if it's ok for you to get out of bed and remove the IV. I will be right back." I smiled and nodded. He left and came back a minute later saying that it was ok. I smiled to my self. I nurse came in and took off the IV and mask and helped me over to the private bathroom that I have yet to use.

"Here's a new gown. I want you just to take a bath so you don't have to stand. There's a emergency button in the shower so if anything happens please press it." The nurse said. I thanked her and sat down on the toilet. I never thought that it would be such a struggle to walk. I actually never thought that anything like this would ever happen. I slowly removed my old gown and looked at my self in the full body mirrior. I have gotten so thin. I can now see my rib cage and it's kinda scary. I shook that thought to the back of my head and turned the water on and waited for it to heat up. Once the tub was filled I slowly got in and lowered myself it the steaming water. It was relaxing just sitting there in the hot water and steam. It calmed my tense mussels and soothed my body. I reached for the shampoo and started to wash all the dirt and oil out of my short hair. When I was done with that I sat in the water till it began to get cold. Realizing that I have been in here for over forty five minutes I carefully got out and found a fresh towel hanging on the door. After drying myself off I put on the new gown and opened the door letting all the steam flow out into my hospital room. Naru was still sitting there waiting for me. He saw that I was done and got up and helped me back over to my bed. I noticed that there were new sheets and pillows, thats good. They were starting to get old. I didn't feel like sitting done again.

"Do you think we could go for a walk? I really don't want to lay down again." He smiled and got a wheel chair from the corner of the room. I sighed. "I wanted to walk Naru, not sit while you walk."

"Sorry but it's either this or nothing." I sat down in the chair and we started to make our way to the small gardens they have here.