Chapter 13 (Strong Will Got You This Far.... So Why Not Keep Going?)

Naru's POV

Mai's heart stopped? Like no longer beating, but then started again after a whole minute? That's insanity.

"Naru. Come on the doctors bringing her back" I looked over at Lin and nodded. We all started to walk back to her room when we saw her doctor. He waved us over to talk to him.

"Now you are allowed to see her and she should be waking up soon. She has a Ventilator to help he breathe."

Stepping forward I asked, "Is she going to make a full recovery?"

"At this point we don't know. It's fifty/fifty. It could go either way. But the good news is that she starting to gain more white blood cells, it seems that after her heart stopped and started beating again the virus went into remission. It's because of her strong willed determination that she made it this far." I smiled. she's ok for now.

"How will she eat and drink, will you have to use a tube?"

"It depends how long the ventilator is on for. She could get it off an hour from now or in a week. It's to soon to tell. Worse comes to worse we will insert a tube, yes" I sighed how could we let it come to this? Too the point where she can't breathe on her own. She now needs help with all the little things in life.

"Have they come up with any cures for the virus?"

"We were looking into to it but seeing how the virus is going into going remission we're going to let it take it's course and see what happens. It might go away on its own. If it does get worse instead of better then we will take action." I nodded.

"Thank you doctor." He smiled and walked away. "Let's go see her now." Everyone nodded and we walked to Mai's room in silence, I guess no one Knew what to say. I was the first one to walk in and see her laying there. She had a tube down her throat and her eyes were closed. There was a machine hooked up to the tube to supply air. Her mouth was slightly open and she was sweating. Even in her condition she still looks beautiful. Her imperfections are what make her unique and special.

"Oh Mai" I looked to my right and saw Masako walking towards her bed in tears. This is the first time I've heard her speak since this all started. "I am so sorry that this all happened. You where there for me when I was kidnapped and in my darkest hour, now I'm going to be there for you, I'm going to make sure you get better because I know that's what you would do for all of us. We might not get along with each other all the time but we are still close friends that stand by each other." Masako lowered her head into the bed sheets and cried softly to herself. Ayako walked over and tried to comfort her but she ended up crying too.

"She going to be fine you guys. She tough and has what it takes to get through this. This is just a bump in the road of life. What's life without hardships? some have it worse then others but in the end it it will always turn out ok. I mean what kinda story ends with the evil guy winning?" I heard monk say from behind me. He's right, everything will turn out fine and we will all get through this.

Monk POV

What the hell am I saying?! I have absolutely know idea whether or not things are going to turn out right. I guess I just wanted to make everyone feel better. I didn't lie though, Mai's tough and does have what it takes to get through this. All we have to do is be there for her every step of the way. "When do you think she'll wake up?"

"The doctor said she should wake up soon. I'm guessing in a few minutes." I nodded to who ever said that, I wasn't paying attention. I took a seat right next to Mai's bed and grabbed her hand.

"I don't know if you can hear me or not but people say if you talk to someone when their unconscious it helps. So here goes nothing. Hey Mai, it's me, Monk. I'm not really good with long heart filled speech's so this is going to be short and sweet. Your going to get better, there's not a doubt in my mind. Your the strongest girl I know and your not afraid to face something head on so, face this head on and beat the crap out of it. Get better so we can all go home, as a family." Leaning forward, I kissed her for head and went to stand in the back. "Someone else have a crack at it."

"I guess all go" John sat down in the chair and started talking. "Hey Mai, it's John talking this time. I just wanted to say that I've been praying for you every night and wish you good luck. Like Monk said, your going to get better and we are going to be a family. Get well soon so we can go on our crazy cases and do what we love." Instead of kissing her for head he kissed her hand.

"Alright my turn." Ayako stepped forward to the chair. "You know to come to me for anything from nightmares to not knowing what to wear on a date with the boy you like. I consider you as one of my closest friends, best friend a that. You always know how to cheer someone up when there feeling down, you aren't afraid to stand you ground and kick someone where it hurts. That's what I love about you Mai, you can go from cute and adorable to ready to fight in a split second. It's time to take a fighting stance and beat what ever standing in your way. I believe in you." She kissed her cheek and moved out of the way.

"Me and Masako have already talked to Mai so that leaves Lin." Naru smirked. He's enjoying putting Lin on the spot. Lin sighed and made he's way over.

"I might not show it Mai but I do care about you. You always bring me tea in the morning even though it's not your job, when you first started at this job I wasn't sure how I felt about you, cause you broke my foot the second we meet. But I got to know you and realized your not bad at all. So get better so everything can go back to normal." Wow. Wasn't expecting him to say all that. He got up and kissed her for head and went back to were he was before. I kept glancing at Mai every so often to see if she was awake. I sat back down in the chair and held her hand, content with just being able to make sure she's safe for now. I was about to get up when I felt a slight pressure on my hand. I looked down and smiled

"Well, look who's awake and kicking. I see our words got to you?" She smiled a squeezed my hand harder.