Chapter 22 (A Walk)

Mai's pov

"How are you Monk?" I asked. I have not really had the time to keep up with my friends personal lives, with everything that has been going on; hopefully everyone has had some sort of social life outside of our group of friends; outside of our busy work schedule

"I'm good, been working hard to find the person who did this to you. We think we have a lead, but let's not talk about that right now. Lets just keep our head in the clouds and act like everything's right with the world for once." he said. Monk had his hands behind his head and was blissfully walking beside me. He looked so content; without a care in the world.

"Keep our heads in the clouds, huh? I like that." for the first time in weeks, I was feeling energized; like walking was not enough to blow off all this extra steam.

I felt like a bottle of soda and some just shook me up, but hasn't removed my top yet; leaving me with this pressure and anticipation for what was going to happen next.

"I don't think a walk is going to do it for me today Monk." I said.

"No, is it too much? We can turn back and go home if you want."

"No, no, no. it's not enough! I've been wallowing around and doing nothing for the past couple of weeks, and i'm sick of it. I'm sick of this caution and fear, i've been crawling because that's all I thought I could do, but I just realized that I should have been running. Not from my problems, but towards them. I've been too weak for far too long. I'm ready."

"Really, Are you sure?"

"I've never been more sure about anything before." before he could argue, or try to stop me, I took off down the sidewalk.

I heard him laughing behind me and I couldn't help but join in.

I've almost forgotten what it felt like to have the wind rush past my hair, or feel the the sting on my cheeks.

"This is what you wanted? To run?" Monk yelled behind me.

"Freedom. I want freedom again." I slowed down a bit.

"Freedom?"

"I want to be able to throw caution to the wind again and not have to worry about the consequences. I was lacking the one thing that led me to you guys."

"And what's that?" we slowly went back to walking.

"If I was cautious all the time, I would have never went into the old school house and knocked over Naru's camera, I would have never told those ghost stories with my friends, and I certainly would not have accepted this job. My lack of caution was one of the things I like about myself the most, and I felt like I lost that for awhile. I'm now just starting to get it back,"

"I told you everything would be okay."

"I just needed to push myself in the right direction."