Chapter 11 (Confessions)

Mai's POV

I feel kinda bad cause Naru's been here with me this whole time, he hasn't gone home once. "Hey Naru?" He glanced up from he's book and nodded. "Don't you think you should go home and get some rest, take a shower, get some fresh clothes? All be ok. You need to go home and take care of your self, what even happened to the case you were on?"

"We never really stopped working it, why do you think I'm the only one who's been here? Everyone else is still working the case."

"That explains a lot. But still, go home, get some rest and take care of your self. All be ok, ms. Susie doesn't let me go anywhere with out her so just go, ok?"

"Your right." I sighed. I thought he was going to protest. "All call Monk to watch you."

"Naru! I don't need watching, I'm seventeen!"

"Still. He has wanted to see you anyways."

"Fine, but he's not babysitting me." He grabbed he's phone and dialed the number.

"Monk.....yes she's fine..... I'm going home...... Come to the hospital.....ok.... Bey, he will be here in a half hour."

"Ok, now go." I said crossing my arms.

"All see you later, Mai."

"Bye Naru" as soon as he left and was out of sight I called Susie. I wanted Naru to go home and get some rest but that's not the only reason, what the man that attacked me said about my parents was getting to me. I couldn't believe what he said was really true.

"Hey Mai" I looked up and saw Susie standing by my bed with a chart in her hands.

"Do you have time to talk?" I decided the best person to talk to about this was her, she wouldn't make a big deal about it.

"Yeah I just went on break, what's up?" She set the clip board down and we both sat on my bed.

"Something's bothering me." I didn't know how to put this in words, nothing would come out.

"What's bothering you, Hun?"

"When I was attacked, it wasn't just random, he was after me."

"We know that, he broke into your home, what are you trying to get at?"

"He wasn't after me for anything I've done. He was targeting me for something my parents done in the past."

"I'm sorry. What did your parents do?"

"Remember how I told you that we work in psychic research?" She nodded. "Well apparently so did my parents and they did something really bad."

"You can tell me Mai, I won't tell anyone. Unless it endangers your well being." I smiled.

"I know, it's just, they..." I started to cry a little but didn't let the tears fall. "They killed a mother and daughter cause they had supernatural powers like me." The tears fell and Susie gasped.

"What do you mean? I don't understand?"

"The man that attacked me, he was the husband to the wife and father to the daughter. He wanted revenge because he's wife and daughter were killed because of a superstition. Since my parents are dead he decided he should attack me cause I was their daughter, he told me he had unique powers that only he has. He had powers like he's family but my parents didn't target him. The virus is in me because... It's the same way the wife and daughter died. My parents gave them the virus so they would die. He wants me to go through the same pain that he's family went through." The tears were falling freely now, I looked at Susie and saw signs of confusion, sadness and anger. "I don't know what to do! Who go I believe?! I don't want to believe that my parents would do such a thing but I don't know any of the facts! I don't-" arms encircled them self around me and I melted. I cried all the feelings I have been holding for four days.

"It's going to be ok. But you have to tell the others, your team. They can help left this burden off your shoulders. Their your family right?" I sighed. I was facing the wall and Susie was facing the door. I just snuggled deeper into the hug. I was about to close my eyes when I herd shuffling from outside. Susie wrapped her arms around me tighter before I could turn around.

"Susie? What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong Mai."

"Who's at the door?"

"Nobody." She was shaking her head slowly. I just realized that it was getting hot in here, it's usually pretty cold in this room.

"Susie, I'm really hot, could you let go?"

"It's like fifty degrees in here, are you starting to get a fever again?" She reached up and touched my head and gasped. Getting really tired I closed my eyes and fell asleep in Susie arms.

"Mai?! Wake up!" It wasn't Susie's voice, it was Monk. He was at the door? That was the last thing I heard.

Monk POV

Naru just called and told me he was going home and to come to the hospital. Grabbing my Keys I hoped into my car and made my way to where they were. It took about twenty minutes but I pulled into the parking lot and walked to the reception. They led me back to Mai's room. The door was open so I stood in the door way and saw Mai talking to her nurse. I heard their whole conversation, would her parents really in psychic research? And would they do that to a mother and daughter? Standing there shocked, I herd Mai say,

"Susie, I'm really hot, could you let go?" It was actually really cold in the room.

"It's like fifty degrees in here, are you starting to get a fever again?" Susie said, she reached up and touched Mai's head and gasped. Mai looked really pale and slowly collapsed. I ran forward and breathed,

"Mai?! Wake up!"

"She's running a really high fever again and I don't know why! The antibiotics should have stopped that from happening!" a doctor came in and they wheeled Mai out to have tests and try to lower the fever. I decided I should call Naru. I dialed his number and waited for him to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey Naru it's me."

"Monk? What's wrong is Mai ok?" He said keeping calm.

"I don't know, she ran another really high fever and kinda collapsed. The doctor took her away to take tests and try to lower the fever."

"All be there in fifteen minutes, call the others." He hung up so I called John.

"Hello?"

"Hey John"

"Monk? How's Mai?" He sounded worried

"I don't know, Naru said for me to tell you all to come to the hospital, ok?"

"We will be there in twenty" I hung up and saw Susie standing over near the front desk.

"Is their any news on Mai?"

"The doctor says she might have a low amount of white blood cells from the virus, it's apparently killing the cells."

"What do white blood cells do?"

"Do you want a short explanation or everything?" I need to find out as much information as possible.

"I need to know everything." She sighed and then started.

"Low white blood cell counts could be because the bone marrow is not producing
enough due to an infection, tumor or abnormal scarring. Another reason may be that the
body is fighting off an infection and needs help to do this. ( Normally the white blood cells
increase when there is an infection.) Certain drugs can cause a lower white cell
count: antibiotics, anticonvulsants, antihistamines, antithyroid drugs, arsenical, barbiturates, chemotherapy drugs, diuretics, and sulfonamides, immune suppressants.
Chemotherapy or radiation therapy. MCollagen-vascular disease like lupus can also
cause this. The white blood cells are the cells of the body that will fight off anything foreign or infectious organisms that enter the body... like virus or bacteria. They also clean up any damage done. There are different kinds of white blood cells of which each has it own job to do: neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils, and basophils. Or monk, it might be something small. I don't know but I don't think it's anything deadly at this point. This is all the virus is doing right now so we have to find a antidote, just have to wait and let it play out."