8|| Past Never Dies!

Mishka POV:

I hurriedly entered the dinning area where Sasur Ji, Hukum and all my devar ji's were seated, ready to have lunch so I quickly went to pick up the bowl of Daal to serve everyone. 

"Are Mishi! aap yeh rehne de... ayiye yahan humare saath baithiye. Humare yahan yeh parampara hai ke bhojan sab ek saath hi karte hai." 

"Mishi! leave that bowl... come sit with us. It's our family's tradition that we eat our food all together." Maa said. 

"Par Badi Maa kehti hai ghar ke badon ke khane ke baad hi khana chahiye!" 

"But my Elder mother (Step mother) always told me to have food after every elder member of the family has had their meal!" I said in a hurry before putting my hand over my mouth to shut it. I didn't even realise that I subconciously tried to object her. I was so doomed now! 

 "Let your Elder mother say whatever she wants to, but here you are a Rathore now. Hence starting from today you'll be having your meals with us, sitting right beside me or maybe Raj whenever you want to!" Maa ordered me before ending it with a tease.

I was new to this environment of giving respect to each and every person equally without any age barrier. I only had my elder mother to teach me the etiquettes and I never questioned her methods but looking at my new family I have started to see myself in a very different perspective. 

"Bhabhi Maa, ab jaldi se baith jaiye... apke banaye khane se bahut hi achi khusboo aa rahi hai, ab aur bhukh ko hum to nai rok payenge!"

"Bhabhi Maa, hurry up and sit down.... the food you've made has such a delicious aroma that I can't control my hunger anymore!" Aditya said making me chuckle a little whereas everyone else laughed at what he said. I placed the bowl of Daal on the table and walked towards Maa to sit down beside her. 

I was sitting right infront of Hukum, and the moment our eyes contacted... my mine instantly went back to what happened at the Hamam making me blush. For the next hour I tried my best to not meet his eyes but I could feel his eyes on me. It was like I could feel him shamelessly watching me, observing my every single moves and reading me. 

At first I was nervous about everyone not liking my food but the compliments made me feel at ease, though only Hukum was the one who didn't say anyting. He just sat there eating his food in silence and just observing me, he didn't even involve in all the jokes and talks his brothers were passing. 

'Is he mad at me for some reason? Or did he not like the food I made?' I asked myself, various bizzare things coming to my mind about him getting angry on me and hurti...!!! No! No... he won't do that to me right? Suddenly all thoughts of getting intimate vanished away with fear of Hukum getting angry on me for my mistake. 

"Mishi! what happened? Are you okay? Your face has gone pale!" Maa exclamied before touching my forehead to see if I was having a fever. 

What did you do Mishi? Now everyone's attention was on me, worried expressions on their face but Hukum, well his face had no expression which made me even more scared. People with no expressions on their face are the ones can't be trusted... who can hurt you without your knowing is what Baapu Sa has always taught me.

"Yes Maa, I think all the travel is just getting to me...N-nothing else!" I gave her a forced smile but the way she looked at me... it was clear on her face that something was wrong but she decided to not ask which I was thankful of. 

"Well, Mishi you have magic in your hands... I loved the food very much. Here, take this as your first Rasoi gift." Sasur Ji said before placing Bhagvat Gita in my hands. I bent down to touch his feet to take the blessings and did the same to Maa as well.