8. Early Recovery

"Ellie!" I hear. I can't really move my head, but I see Mom. She leans down and hugs me, but I let out a small yelp of pain. She draws back.

"Hey, Lil," Don says, coming into my view. "How you feeling?"

"Peachy," I say sarcastically. "Where's Amanda?"

"She went home," Don answers.

"Well I want to talk to her. She has to be blaming herself and she shouldn't."

"We've told her, Lil."

"And she believes you?" My headache starts to intensify, so my voice gets weaker as I ask the question.

"El, don't get all worked up. You need to rest," Mom says, brushing my hair with her fingers.

"Mom, call her or text her or something. Please. Tell her I'm awake and I'll be home to annoy her as soon as possible."

They both laugh. "You're always able to joke," Don says. "What a godsend."

"Please, Mom," I say, rather seriously.

"I will, My Love," she says. "Get some rest, okay?"

I nod and she kisses my head.

"Oh, and by the way," Don says, "you're one of the most helpful victims we've ever dealt with."

"Huh?"

"You got the perps' DNA samples with those talons. Glad your mother didn't make you cut them off," he says before touching my shoulder for comfort then following my mom out.

I take the opportunity to go back to sleep.

*Amanda's POV*

There's a knock at my door. "Rollins! It's Olivia," I hear immediately after.

I practically run to the door and open it. Olivia is standing there with the squad. Before I can react, Olivia has me in a hug that I instantly relax in to.

"How's my Babygirl?" I ask weakly.

"She's fine. Still her Ellie self," Cragen says as they all file in.

"How so?" I ask as Olivia sits with me on the couch.

"She woke up and we were talking with her. She said to tell you she'll be home, annoying you as soon as possible," he replies with a half smile.

"I still feel like it's my fault," I admit to everyone.

"No it's not," arises from everyone but I just shake my head.

"They were gonna go after someone. And how did you know they would be there?!" Nick asks, sitting on the other side of me.

I shrug. "It's just...it's Ellie."

"Yes, and we all felt the same exact way. But now we can all be relieved she A: is alive, B: isn't in critical condition, C: will fully recover, and D: she left a trail for us to follow," Nick tells me.

"What?" I ask as Olivia asks, "A trail?"

"They found the car with one of Ellie's prints on the side of the vehicle and one of her socks in the trunk."

"Not to mention the fact she scratched the hell out of the two. Two sets of DNA under her fingernails," Munch points out.

"Damn," I all I can manage.

*Ellie's POV*

~the next day~

I've just finished giving my statement and had the most awful food ever. I'm ready to leave, but apparently they have to keep me for testing.