01 - The Prison

My head got heavier and heavier as Poe trotted forward

My head got heavier and heavier as Poe trotted forward. I patted his dark, thick neck with a weak hand. "You got it boy. We'll find somewhere."

We have to.

It was getting dark. I whipped my head around at the sound of a twig snapping.

"Woah," I said, pulling back on the reins. I looked off into the woods, squinting my eyes to spot what made that sound.

Nothing.

I made a clicking sound and signaled for Poe to move forward. I adjusted the hat on my head to keep the setting sun out of my eyes. My lips smacked together dryly. I instinctively reached for my bag I had tied to the saddle before I remembered I had run out of water. And food.

I listened to the horse's hooves crunch against the gravel road. In the distance something appeared in my vision. I put my hand out to block the light. It was some sort of building but I couldn't tell what kind exactly. I signaled Poe to move faster.

My heart beat quickly as my vision blurred for a moment.

No. No. Stay awake. Pass out and you'll die.

As I got closer to the building, I noticed large fences around it with corpses banging against the metal. There were towers surrounding the large structure.

A prison.

Although my better judgment told me it would be crawling with corpses inside, I still moved forward. I had no choice.

My spirits brightened when I saw the inside of the fence was clear. I didn't believe in a God, but if there was one, I was thanking them. I just had to find a way inside before I couldn't anymore.

Suddenly, I heard shouting from the direction I was headed.

Fuck.

I saw a few people running to the front gate with guns drawn. I had no other choice but to go toward these strangers. Either way, I could die. I put up my hands as I approached. I had no bullets left so I couldn't fight back at a distance even if I wanted to.

"Hey!" I shouted. "I mean no harm. I need help. Please!"

I had to push those words out. Force them. My voice was rough from the lack of hydration. The corpses noticed me and started to make their way toward me. Poe became uneasy.

"Please." My eyes darted around frantically.

The figures in front of me became blurry. I tried to speak again but no words would leave my mouth. Death was tightening his cold fingers around me.

I felt myself slipping off the saddle. More shouting. My body hitting the gravel. The sound of metal. A gunshot.

Nothing.