25 - Unspoken

Once again, I was back on the road with no home to go back to

Once again, I was back on the road with no home to go back to. This time was different though; I was with people. For the first time wandering and scavenging wasn't so lonely.

Rick and I still hadn't spoke past the necessary conversation. We shared a few hollow glances, but nothing more. I could have tried harder to connect again but I felt like he was the one that had to take that step. Every time I even got near Rick, he would find a reason to go the other direction.

___

Gunfire.

Explosion.

Fire.

"What the hell is happening?"

"We're being attacked. Those assholes who threatened us last week are back. They got into the gun safe."

"Fight or run?"

"Hawk. Hawk. Wake up."

My eyes opened to the rising sun and Daryl standing over me.

"You were talkin' in your sleep," he whispered.

I rubbed my eyes and stood up from my leafy bed. "Sorry."

"Don't worry 'bout it."

Everyone else was still asleep besides myself, Daryl, Rick, and Judith. Rick was feeding his daughter from a bottle.

"What are you doing?" I asked the man.

"Huntin' and seein' if I can find any tracks," he answered as he readjusted his crossbow on his back.

"Tracks?"

"I felt someone watchin' us last night."

My stomach sank. Were the people from Terminus here? Was I right all along? I hoped not.

"Can I come with?"

Daryl looked at me for a moment before nodding. "Come on."

The two of us walked through the forest in silence for awhile. I made sure to stay behind the man so I wouldn't unintentionally mess up any tracks. So far he hadn't found anything substantial. Daryl shot down a few squirrels on the way. I eyed the crossbow.

"Have I made up for tryin' to kill you yet?" I said in a low voice.

Daryl huffed.

"I have a good memory. So, have I?"

He loaded an arrow into the weapon then held it out for me to take. "You've done plenty."

Daryl taught me the basics on how to use the bow. We walked for a few minutes before two squirrels scurried across a branch. They both stopped to eat.

Daryl pointed at them. He came up behind me and put his hands on my forearms. His shallow breaths brushed against my ear. The archer lifted my arms so my aim was better.