05 - War

After the stunt I pulled, as Rick put it, I still wasn't allowed to have my own cell to sleep in

After the stunt I pulled, as Rick put it, I still wasn't allowed to have my own cell to sleep in. Even though we reconciled after the farmhouse, the trust he was gaining for me was fractured. I accepted that with only a few glares and mutterings under my breath.

I sat at a table in the common area sharpening my knife. Merle sauntered up behind me.

"You know we're the only ones inside right now," he said, stepping closer.

I ignored him and continued to sharpen the blade on a rock.

Merle placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it. "How about we get cozied up in my corner over there?"

"If you don't stop touching me I'll cut off your only hand," I warned.

Merle released his grip as some of the group began entering.

Merle chuckled. "No need for threats, pretty lady. Just an offer. Think about it."

I finished sharpening my knife and began loading guns. Everyone else organized the weapons and did the same as me.

"Carl, come here," commanded Glenn. He handed the kid some ammo. "You stash these at the loading dock. All right?" He handed more to Beth. "Beth, put more up on the catwalk. If anyone gets pinned down we need to make sure they have plenty of ammo. I'll go work on the cage outside."

Glenn picked up a gun, a blowtorch, and gloves before he started for the door. Merle stopped him.

"What we should be doing is loading some of this firepower in a truck and paying a visit to the governor," said Merle. "We know where he is right now."

"Are you suggesting that we just go in and kill him?" Glenn asked, turning toward the man.

"Yeah, I am."

"We told Rick and Daryl that we'd stay put," Michonne shot back.

"I've changed my mind, sweetheart. Being on the sideline with my bother out there... ain't sitting right with me," said Merle, leaning up against the cage.

"How do you suggest we do that? Go in with guns blazing? I don't think any of them would hesitate to put a bullet through your brother's skull the first chance they got," I told him.

"Jolene is right," Glenn added. "The three of them are right in the middle of it. No idea we're coming. They could all be taken hostage or killed. A thousand things could go wrong."

"And they will," Merle stated, matter of factly.

Carl glared at him. "My dad can take care of himself."

"Sorry, son. But your dad's head could be on a pike real soon."

I scoffed in disgust at what he said. Carl left the room without a word.

"Don't say that to him," Maggie said as she loaded a gun.

Glenn looked like he was considering Merle's suggestion for a moment but shook his head. "It's not the right move. Not now. Can't take the risk of putting them in the crossfire. That's my decision. It's final."