23 - Believe Nothing

Before we entered Terminus, we scoped the area

Before we entered Terminus, we scoped the area. It was my idea to do so. After the Governor and Helen's group, I didn't want to take any chances. There were multiple brick buildings and red train cars scattered around the area. I saw no one. That meant everyone was inside or the place had been abandoned.

My group converged at the designated spot. "Anything?" I asked.

"Nothing," Glenn responded.

I nodded. "What's the plan now?"

"I say we head inside," Abraham said. "Even if there's no one in there, we can hold up and wait for your people for a few hours. Gather supplies. Find a vehicle."

"Our people," corrected Maggie.

Abraham didn't reply. He only gave her a hesitant, stiff nod.

Glenn circled his finger around. "All of us stay together. No matter what. We don't know who or what's in there."

"And meet back here if anything goes wrong," I added with Glenn's approval.

Maggie, Glenn, and I lead the group in. I gripped my revolver as we went through the gate.we passed plant beds full of growing crops. Crops that were obviously tended to. We came up to another gate with blossoming sunflowers near by. On it was a sign that read: LOWER YOUR WEAPONS YOU WILL BE MET YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT TERMINUS.

Although I did lower my gun slightly, I kept my finger hovering on the trigger. We continued walking, passing more plant beds, a washing station, and tables. There was no sign of anybody. Not even walkers. I smelt something cooking.

Ahead of us stood an older woman at a grill. As we approached her she turned around with a smile. There was no fear behind her eyes. I was all too familiar with that look. No, she was comfortable. Too comfortable for someone alone with a group of strangers with guns. I clenched my teeth together.

"Hi. In Mary," she said. She looked us over and sighed. "Looks like you've been on the road for a while."

"We have," Maggie told her.

"Let's get you settled and we'll make you a plate. Welcome to Terminus."

Mary fished out a whistle tied around a string that hung under her shirt. She blew it and seconds later multiple men and woman emerged from the buildings. They all had smiles and nonthreatening expressions on their faces. Ahead of the group was a young man with short brown hair. My eyes darted around, keeping track of every person. Most of them had a gun on them. If one wasn't visible, I'm sure it was hidden.

The man approached us with a lopsided smile. "I'm sure Mary already greeted you all but I'll still welcome you to our sanctuary. I'm Gareth."