26 - Stay or Go

Gabriel crumbled to the ground in a fit of tears

Gabriel crumbled to the ground in a fit of tears. "I always lock the doors. I always lock the doors," he sobbed.

I scoffed and crossed my arms. He didn't do anything to Bob, Daryl, or Carol. But he certainly wasn't innocent. We all had our demons, but at least I never willingly let children be torn apart.

A muffled whistle sounded from outside the church. Glenn rushed to the front window.

"There's something-- there's someone outside lying in the grass," Glenn said, urgency in his voice.

Sasha immediately ran out the door. I followed closely behind her. When I got down the steps, my heart felt like it stopped. Bob was passed out on the ground, missing one of his legs.

"Oh, Bob!" Sasha cried as she fell to her knees next to him.

Maggie stared down at the man. "His leg."

Walkers growled and walked toward us from the darkness.

"Get Bob inside," Glenn told us. "We'll take care of them."

Sasha peered up at me with wide eyes. "Help me, please. Help me."

I slung one of Bob's arms over my shoulder and grabbed his fully intact leg. Sasha did the same but on the opposite, more damaged, side. Bob mumbled something as we carried him up the steps and into the church. His eyes darted around under his eyelids. Sasha and I lowered the man slowly to the ground.

"Get a pillow," I instructed Carl.

He nodded and immediately ran to find one. In just a second he was back. Sasha lifted Bob's head as I slid the pillow underneath it.

My hands shook as I studied his leg. Any alcohol I still had in my system completely evaporated at that moment. Bob's leg wasn't ripped or bitten off by a walker. It wasn't crushed or shot either. It was intentionally sliced, cauterized, and bandaged.

The men who were taken from the train car had explained to us what Terminus was doing with those they captured. They told us how they slit throats to drain the body of blood before they buttered it for its meat. They were cannibals. Seeing Bob's leg only made me think the worst.

Bob's eyes fluttered open. Sasha stroked his face comfortingly as he took in his new surroundings. He tried sitting up but she had to support him so he could. Everyone who wasn't already gathered around the man came over.

"Bob, what happened?" Sasha asked him.

"I was in the graveyard," he began with a shakey voice. Sasha gripped his hand. "Somebody knocked me out. I woke up outside this place. It looked like a school. It was that guy, Gareth, and five other ones."

It felt like boiling water filled my veins when I heard him say that name. I could swear steam was coming out of my ears. Everyone, everyone, didn't want to find the Terminus survivors. Even Rick after he was the one who came up with the idea in the first place. I told them they would come back. They always do and this just proves that.