18 - Freedom

Rays of sunlight pierced through the barred windows

Rays of sunlight pierced through the barred windows. They warmed the cold cellblock and its inhabitants but exposed the blood stained floors. Those who were not medicated removed the bodies.

As my eyes opened, I felt like I was made brand new. Everything was clearer. My mind and body. When I pushed myself up, I was quickly reminded that not everything was back to normal. My tricep throbbed immensely. I groaned as I stood and stretched out my limbs. It took me longer to put on my gun belt because of my injured arm, but I got the job done.

I took in the silence around me. No more coughing or gagging or screams of terror. Just quiet.

Hershel stopped by my cell. He leaned up against the door. "How are you feeling this mornin'?" he asked.

"Pretty good, except for the bullet hole," I told him, honestly. 

Hershel took his backpack off of his shoulder, unzipped it, and pulled out a role of bandages.

"Let's put some clean ones on there before you leave."

The old man gently undid the bandages that were wrapped around my bicep and tricep. On them were splotches of brown dried blood. Before Hershel wrapped it again, he took a cotton ball and soaked it in disinfectant. I breathed in sharply through my teeth as he cleaned the wound. Then, the white bandages once again covered the stitches.

"I really need to get those guys a gift for bringin' back those meds," I said, rolling my left shoulder. "They saved everybody's lives. My life."

Hershel put his supplies back in his bag. "I don't think that's necessary."

"Why? They risked their lives for us. It's the least I could do."

"You would have done the same," stated Hershel. "If the roles were reversed, would you want anything in return?" 

I thought about it for a moment before saying, "I guess not. Just that people got better."

Hershel smiled. Although his face was wrinkled with time, his light blue eyes remained youthful. I wondered how much those eyes have witnessed. In a way, Hershel was lucky. He got to experience a pretty full life outside of this mess. I envied that but didn't blame him for it.

"That's exactly why it's unnecessary. You think like this group. You fit in. Whether you believe so or not."

"I'm starting to." I took a beat. "How's Glenn?"

"Good," he said, nodding. "He survived the night. He talkin', eatin'. He'll be okay."

"Good." I took a deep breath. "I need to get out of here already or I think I'll go insane."

Hershel squeezed the shoulder of my good arm. "It's a beautiful day, enjoy it. But don't work your arm too hard."

I gave the man a tight hug despite my pain.