09 - Taken

Since I had been letting Michonne take Poe out on her runs to find the governor, she had brought me tape and tons of books that weren't already in the prison library

Since I had been letting Michonne take Poe out on her runs to find the governor, she had brought me tape and tons of books that weren't already in the prison library. She started this up again once the deepest part of winter had passed.

I had made my cell my own little home. I now used the tape to attach the photo of my sisters and Will to the wall. That way I could see their faces all of the time. I smiled looking at my work. I hoped to be that happy again.

"What'd you do there?" Rick asked as he paused his walk past my cell.

I waved him in. "Those were my sisters and my husband."

"They're beautiful," he stated.

"They were, weren't they"

We both looked at the picture for a moment before Rick said, "I wanted to ask you something."

"Shoot."

"Carl told me you used to be a teacher. The council told me they'd like to start classes for the kids. I think that'd good for them. Make them feel normal. Carol has already volunteered, but I thought you'd be a good addition too."

I instantly felt transported back to the time before. When I was in my own classroom with my students.

"I don't have much experience with younger children, but I'm sure I could figure it out."

"That a yes?"

"Yes, it is, Grimes," I told him.

"Thanks, Jo. I'll let the council know," he responded.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "Jo?"

"Don't like it?"

I chuckled to myself. "No, it's not that. My family and Will used to call me that. I just haven't heard it in a long time. I don't mind."

"Well, we're family now so it's only right. Anyway, I got to finish buildin' the fences for Poe. I'll see you around," Rick said, glancing at my picture one last time and patting his work gloves against his rough hands.

Rick had given up his gun for a while now. Carl was also part of this new life change. Neither of them told me why, but I assumed they both needed to find themselves again. Some people change for the better in this world. Some also change for the worse and that happens more often than not.

I put on my apron over my jacket. I put gloves on and gripped my long-bladed knife. Corpses, or walkers as I started calling them, began pushing up against the fences with the desire for human flesh. I didn't know when the change in my vocabulary happened exactly, but spending so much time around these people it was hard for it not to.

Although it was warmer out now, I wore a jacket at the fences so I didn't have to wash my clothes all the time. Blood could coat this garment and I didn't have to worry. As I made my way outside, I saw that Karen and Tyreese were already there. Rick and Carl were banging on nails which was attracting more walkers.