03 - You Can Trust That

I walked with Hershel over to Poe

I walked with Hershel over to Poe. He was drinking water out of a bucket someone had brought him while I was kept inside.

"You know how to work on animals too?" I questioned.

Hershel chuckled. "I worked on animals first. I was a vet before all of this. It'll be nice to do that again."

Hershel began his examination of the horse. I could tell he'd done this for many years by the way he went about a practiced routine.

The man with the blue eyes, who I learned was Rick, walked up to us.

"He's beautiful. Where'd you find him?" Hershel asked me.

"At the farmhouse I was at before this. Seemed like someone reinforced the fencing and was taking care of him. They were gone when I got there," I told him. "I was shocked to see him at first. I thought all of the horses and cattle were gone."

"Well, he's certainly lucky you came." Hershel patted Poe. "He has a few scratches but nothing that won't heal on their own. You've brought an old man some long forgotten joy with this one."

Hershel looked at Rick and nodded before he made his way back inside. Rick got closer to me and placed his hand on the animal.

"Are you with us?" he said without looking at me.

I let out a frustrated breath. "You've already questioned me. You know I'm not with those guys."

He turned to face me. A serious expression on his face. "I'm askin' are you with us. You're either a part of this or you're gone. We'll give you supplies and you can go on your way. But we're not goin' to protect someone that isn't goin' to to protect us."

"I don't even know you people. You're obviously on a war path that I'm not involved in," I responded.

Rick nodded and clenched his jaw. "I know. That's why I'm givin' you the option. You saved Hershel. Protected my boy. All after being tied up by us. I'm not sayin' I trust you." He gazed up at the sky. "What I'm sayin' is we need you. You know your way around a gun. You can fight."

I sighed and ran my fingers along Poe's back. "That baby in there. That's your daughter, right?"

He nodded.

"You, Daryl, and Hershel are lucky ya'll still have family."

"They're all my family in there."

"Even Merle?" I asked, jokingly. Rick didn't seem to be amused. I had seen and heard the trouble they had with that man. Being locked up next to him wasn't sunshine and rainbows either. I already had to slap him once.

I looked Rick in the eyes.  "Those kids don't deserve to die. I don't know you but I'm not goin' to walk away and let those men take away their lives. Their home. You can trust that."