22 - Message From a Friend

I walked along the tracks for two days

I walked along the tracks for two days. I spent the third in an old, run-down train station to rest my ankle and gain some energy. It wasn't bothering me as much anymore but still needed to heal. Especially after being on it all day long. I stayed in the building for half of the fourth day before continuing my journey. Each night I'd find a house or any building to sleep in. If I couldn't find one, I'd search for a tree I could climb with large limbs where I could get some rest. Most nights I didn't sleep for more than a few hours. My mind was constantly on guard for walkers or people. Not to mention the cold that caused me to shiver all night long.

On day six on the tracks, there was a huge hoard of walkers blocking my path. I had to run deep into the woods while using too much of my ammo. It took me hours to find my way back after escaping.

Today was day number twelve since the prison had fallen. Twelve days of being alone and on the run. Twelve days of thinking about nothing but surviving. It had been quiet. I only saw three walkers and they did not put me in any immediate danger so I let them be. Ahead of me was a Terminus sign. I had passed many of them on my walks, but there was something different about this one. There was something written on the map. As I neared it, my heart began racing in my chest. It wasn't from fear or worry, but from pure excitement and happiness.

It read: GLENN GO TO TERMINUS MAGGIE BOB SASHA

"I-I found them," I stuttered as a lump formed in my throat and a few tears rolled down my cheeks. "I found them."

I touched the writing. The blood they had used remained on my fingers. They were close.

My pace quickened now into a jog. I slowed down after an hour because my body couldn't keep up with my enthusiasm. But I kept walking. I didn't even stop to eat or drink. I just grabbed what I needed out of my bag and did it on the go.

It had been three hours since I saw the message and I was beginning to lose hope. I had seen no other sign of them. By now, I thought I would have caught up to the group. My feet slowed to a stop. I rubbed my face in frustration.

"Jo?"

I quickly spun around to see Maggie, Sasha, and Bob emerging from the forest. They held full water jugs in their hands. Each of them had a huge smile on their face. I threw off my bag and ran to Maggie. I enveloped her in a hug. Her arms wrapped around me tightly. I couldn't control my emotions any longer as sobs escaped my mouth. Maggie held onto me as my legs gave out beneath me.

"You're okay," she cooed. "You're with us now."

I took a deep breath and regained my composure. Bob held out his hand to help me up. I embraced him and Sasha.