10 - Got Her

My chest rose and fell heavily

My chest rose and fell heavily. My head hung low. Day had turned to night as crickets chirped out the window.

I had tried escaping the torture. I attempted to make a run for it but Tod tackled me to the ground and Bobby tied my feet together. My skin stung all over from them cutting me with knifes. My left eye was swelling up from the punches and my lip was split open. I had to blink away the blood that ran down my right eye.

Throughout this, they continuously tried to get me to tell them where my group was. I stayed silent, except for my screams of pain. Before they left me, they showed me pliers and said they were going to start pulling out my fingernails when they got back.

I was able to get the ropes around my wrists loose. Bobby didn't know how to tie a good knot, evidently. Now that the men were gone, I used the opportunity to try to pull my hands apart. It burned, but I was able to get it loose enough to where I could squeeze a hand through. Quickly, I used my free hand to rid myself of the rope. I then untied my ankles.

Outside, yelling erupted.

"Damn it," I whispered.

Although I was weak, the got myself to my feet and went to the table where they had put my gun belt and revolver. I put it around my waist and made sure the gun was fully loaded. I put my switchblade in my pocket. Then, I took one of their loaded shotguns from the wall.

Gunshots sounded in the camp ground. I made my way to the exit. Before I could open the door, Tod burst through.

"What the hell?!" he exclaimed when he saw I was free.

I aimed the shotgun at his head.

"Wait, wait, I'll let you go. Let's talk about this."

I rolled my eyes and pulled the trigger. Tod's body flailed backwards, the top of his skull missing. He landed on the front deck of the cabin. I stepped over him into the night air. A walker stumbled forward, eyeing then fresh blood. I pulled out my blade, stepped over Tod, and stabbed it the head.

I saw more walkers around. More were being drawn in from the gun fire. I didn't know what was happening, but what I did know was that this was my chance to escape. 

I got low, and ran to the back of the cabin next to this one. My plan was to go from cabin to cabin and get to the road. That way I could use what I remembered from the drive and find my way back to the farm.

I stabbed another walker that go too close then ran to the next cabin. I peaked around to the front and saw a few men running out of the woods. I pressed my back up against the log wall. A short man ran past me with wild eyes.

"Shit, shit, shit!" he yelled.

He turned around, taking in his surrounding. When he spotted me, he raised his gun. Without hesitation, I pulled my trigger.

I heard more footsteps coming my way from the other side of the cabin. I held up the shotgun and waited for them to turn the corner.

Within the darkness, I could see a man with a short beard and silver Colt Python. I lowered my gun.

"Rick?!" I shouted.

His head whipped toward me and his shoulders relaxed. He rushed forward.

"Jo!" Rick said as he pulled me into his embrace. "We're here you're safe."

It hurt to be held, but it felt nice at the same time. Rick noticed my wince and pulled back. He looked me over, taking in my injuries.

"They did this to you?" he questioned, a hardness in his voice.

"Yeah. I got one of the men already."

"Good."

Daryl, Maggie, Glenn, and Michonne came around the corner.

"I got her," Rick said to them. "Let's go."

The group surround and covered me and ran through the forest. They killed a couple more men and a few walkers. I was led to two cars hidden by the trees. Rick helped me in the passenger seat of one. He got in the drivers seat and sped off while the others took down some stragglers still attacking us.

I leaned my head against the seat and closed my eyes.

"You good?" he asked.

"I might pass out," I said honestly. "But I'm okay for now."

"What were they doing to you?"

"They were torturing me. Trying to get me to tell them where the prison was. They were going to take me there as ransom or just kill me if you didn't go along with their demands." I opened my eyes and saw Rick raising an eyebrow at me. "Don't worry, I didn't tell them."

He shook his head. "I wasn't worried about that. I'm just glad we found you."

"I knew you would. Sorry I made you get your gun out again."

"It was for a good cause," Rick said. "I had to make sure you got back in one piece." He cleared his throat. "It'll go back once we're at the prison."

My vision became fuzzy and my head was light. The road ahead blended with the headlights. With every bump of the car, it was harder to keep my neck stiff.

"Rick?"

"Yeah?"

"You're going to have to carry me in," I slurred as I blacked out.