29 - Dying Hope

Eugene's chest rose and fell with every shallow breath he took

Eugene's chest rose and fell with every shallow breath he took. I sat next to him under the ladder and blanket Maggie and I had put over him. I unscrewed the cap of my water bottle that was labeled with a 'J' before pouring a little bit of the liquid on his face.

When Eugene dropped the bomb on us that he didn't know how to save the world, I felt numb. He had constantly reassured us that he was legit. It was all lies. Manipulation. But I wasn't really angry at him. I didn't put all my eggs in his basket like Abraham did. I was glad Eugene had revealed it now rather than when we got to Washington. I was also disappointed that this would be my reality until I died. Those emotions resulted in an overwhelming numbness.

I watched the massive hoard of walkers in the distance, making sure none decided to wander this way. If even a small group broke off, we'd be screwed.

Eugene groaned next to me. I quickly grabbed my knife and held it over his head.

"Oh, shit," I breathed as I promptly stopped myself from ending his life.

Eugene hadn't turned. He was finally waking up.

"Hell—Hello," he wearily said.

I put my hand on his forehead. "You're okay. I'm here." I leaned past the firetruck until I could see Abraham and Maggie. "He's awake!"

Maggie smiled and ran over to us. She kneeled down next to me as Eugene's eyes gradually opened. He attempted to lift his head to get a look at his surroundings.

"Hey, hey, don't move," Maggie told him. "Stay there. Take it easy for a minute."

I stood and stepped back so I could give them both some room. Abraham was still on the ground but at least he was drinking water now. I slowly approached him as I put my knife back in its holster.

"How's your hand?" I asked him.

"I'll survive," he said, setting down the water bottle.

I could tell he was still down on himself, but he wasn't nearly as bad as he was before.

"I'm sorry this mission failed." I spotted Glenn, Tara, and Rosita returning from their short trip. "But there will be others. Right now our mission needs to be gettin' Eugene back on his feet and finding our group again. I know that's not a life-changing thing to do, but it's somethin'. You'll find another reason to keep fightin' again. A bigger purpose. But I think you need to live your life one day at a time now. Like I do. Or else nothin' starts to matter anymore and this world will take you out."

Abraham huffed loudly. "Easier said than done."

"You could at least try. If not for yourself then or her," I said, pointing to Rosita. "You know it would crush her if you gave up this easily." I held out my hand. "Now get up."

The man ignored me and continued to stare off into the distance.

"You're not the only one who's stubborn. I'll try to lift you up myself if I have to," I warned him. I waited a few seconds for him to take my hand. When he didn't, I grabbed his arm. Abraham immediately yanked it away. "I told you I would do that. Now get up before I try again."