02 - The Girl on the Horse

Jolene, you need to go! We're surrounded!

No. No, I'm not leaving you!

Go! I'll hold them off so you can get away.

No, Will. I can't leave you.

We can't discuss this. You can get away. Please, baby.

I love you.

___

"Hey, wake up."

There was a muffled baby cry.

"I said, wake up!"

I felt a kick to my leg. My eyes slowly opened. They still felt heavy but not as heavy as before. As my vision focused, I saw a kid in front of me. He had dark hair that had grown out under a brown cowboy hat. I instinctively tried to reach for my own black one on my head but my hands were zip tied. With a new head on my shoulders, I looked around. I seemed to be tied up to a metal pole in the courtyard of the prison. I glanced up again to see the kid pointing a gun with a silencer at my head.

"Woah, woah, there's no need for that, kid," I said. "I'm a little tied up."

I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder and winced.

He kept the gun up. "Who are you?"

"That's kind of a loaded question, don't you think?"

The kid squinted his eyes. "Are you with the governor?"

I chuckled. "I don't think there's been a governor for a while now."

He took the safety off of his gun. "I'm not going to ask you again. Are you with the governor?"

"Carl!" a woman with short, graying hair shouted. She walked toward us with a man in a prison jumpsuit. The boy walked over to her. I noticed my gun sticking out the back of his pants. "You were supposed to wait until Glenn got back."

My hat and my duffel bag were a few feet away from me. I didn't see Poe anywhere. I heard the wailing cry of a baby again.

He shook his head. "She was waking up and he's not back yet. I was just trying to protect this place. Get information on the governor. What if he attacks us? She could know how and when."

"Hey!" I yelled. "I don't know who you think I am. But I have no idea who the hell this governor is. I've never seen him. But I've heard of him."

The three of them walked over to me with suspicious looks.

"Who are you?" the woman asked.

"You guys keep asking me that question and I don't know how to answer." They all continued to stare at me. I cocked my head to the side. "Fine. My name is Jolene Hawk. I've been on the run for a long time now. I was staying in a farmhouse not far from here when some guys pushed me out after they... after... that's not important." I cleared my throat before I looked away. "What's important is before I got away they said something about a governor. Said he told them they needed to put a bullet in my head and take my things before they went back. I was out of food and water and the corpses kept pushing me this way."