24 - Cold

"Come here, kid," I said, opening my arms

"Come here, kid," I said, opening my arms. Carl hesitated for a moment before rushing into me. Our embrace brought me back to the day the prison fell. I squeezed him tighter than I ever had before. Not only because I missed him, but because his baby sister was no where in sight. "Let me look at you."

Carl stepped back and attempted to hide his face with his hat. I took it off before I placed my finger under his chin and raised his head.  His cheek was scratched and coated with dried blood. I ran my thumb gently on the mark. There was a deep sadness and fear within his eyes. I bit my tongue from asking any invasive questions. Instead, I laid a gentle kiss on the kid's forehead.

I placed the sheriff's hat on my own head. "I think I'll keep this."

"Hey!" Carl objected as he snatched it from me. The corners of his mouth turned up.

I sighed, "Brown looks better on you anyway. Those bastards took mine."

"I know. Dad saw someone wearing it. That's how we figured out this wasn't a good place."

I looked behind Carl to see Rick talking with Sasha. He was already looking back at me. "Smart man."

Everyone else in the car was using whatever they had to make weapons. Rick had taken a quick break from sawing off pieces of wood. He had already stashed one in his boot. He gave Sasha a nod before getting right back to his task.

"Go help Michonne. We'll talk again when we're out of here, okay?" I told Carl.

"Okay."

I walked over to Rick and squatted down next to him. We hadn't talked since he'd been here. I wanted to hug him and tell him how much I missed his presence. Instead, I asked, "Need anything?"

"No. I think I got it," he said as he ran the zipper back and forth. Sweat dripped off of his curled hair. "This one's for you when I'm done."

There was a coldness in his tone which caught me off guard. This wasn't exactly the happy reunion I had in mind. But considering the circumstances, I backed off. I had been so consumed with ideas of him alive or dead that I never stopped to think that maybe I didn't occupy that same space in his head. Besides, I had no idea what he went through in the two weeks we were separated. He could have changed completely in that time.

"Okay, let me know when you're ready."

Rick didn't respond as I walked away. I leaned up against the wall by Rosita.

"All right, got four of them pricks coming our way," Daryl informed everyone.

Rick stood and went over to the door. "Ya'll know what to do. Go for their eyes first. Then their throats."

A voice outside said, "Put your backs to the walls on either side of the car. Now!"

Michonne and I put ourselves in front of Carl. Rick hadn't finished getting my weapon for me, so I held up my fists instead. The man nodded quickly to his son.