19 - Lucky to be Alive

Boom!

Boom!

Poe reared up and whinnied. I held on for dear life so I would not fall backwards. The horse slammed down on his front hooves causing me to jolt forwards. I caressed Poe's neck.

"It's okay, boy," I told him. "We're okay."

When he calmed down, I turned him around to see a large tank with three vehicles lined up on either side outside of the fences. That's what made the explosion. They had shot a projectile at the prison.

But it wasn't necessarily a group effort that had done that. It was one man.

The Governor.

I could tell it was him by the way he stood on the tank with a hand on his pistol. He had an air of superiority about him. Cockiness. Not to mention the eyepatch that served as a reminder of what Michonne did to him. A reminder that drove him to our front door.

Surrounding the cars were at least a dozen people, maybe more, pointing guns. I couldn't do anything. I was out in the open. It'd be shooting fish in a barrel for them. Especially since I was on Poe. So, I waited as the rest of my group ran out to the fence from the buildings of the prison. They filed behind the guard tower for cover.

"Rick!" the Governor shouted. "Come down here. We need to talk."

My heart began beating faster with every second that passed. The Governor wasn't a man that really wanted to talk and work things out. That was all a facade. It seemed he was still playing that part for this new group he'd charmed.

"It's not up to me!" Rick yelled back, emerging from the shadows. "There's a council now. They run this place."

"Is Hershel on the council?" the Governor asked.

He nodded and woman led Hershel out from a pickup. His hands were tied behind his back.

A lump formed in my throat and my teeth clenched together. My fingers grazed my revolver.

"Not him," I whispered.

"What about Michonne?"

Michonne was led forward in the same state. Although I was happy she was still alive, my better instincts told me she wouldn't be for long. The Governor was Hell bent on killing her before. No matter what happened, he'd still want his revenge.

"I don't make decisions anymore!" Rick said.

Hershel and Michonne were shoved to their knees in front of the tank.

"You're making the decisions today, Rick," the Governor told him. "Come down here. Let's have that talk."

As Rick opened the gate, I was brought back to the first negotiation the men shared. I respected his decision not to take the tranquilizers I had gotten from the farmhouse months ago. He wanted peace. Plus, it was too dangerous a move to pull then. But seeing Hershel defenseless there, I wish I had insisted. I wish we would have taken the risk. Now, those pills sat in my bag when they belonged in the Governor's bloodstream.