Chapter 3

I died. The darkness captivated me and stopped my heart.

At least that's what I thought.I woke up suffocated in an unfamiliar room. The walls were white, but not the blinding kind, more the nice cream color. The parquet is made of beautiful deep brown wood, just like the door I saw. I don't understand what is happening to me. I only remember that I fell into the water and... I didn't fall in, I was pushed in... I quickly stood up, but in my confusion I got dizzy and fell back onto the couch where I had been lying until now.I heard footsteps behind me and then someone sitting down next to me.

- Am I dead now?

- Yes.

- So is this heaven or hell? - I finally look at Victor who's sitting next to me. I don't know what I see on him. As if something hurts to him. Isn't it just that he just thought of one thing and killed me?

- Nobody knows. I've been asking myself this question for many, many years, but... I never found the answer. Then I met you and suddenly it became clear that what had been hell had turned into heaven.

- Victor, I don't understand anything. What happened? Am I dreaming? - I pinched myself to be safe, but I didn't wake up.

- This is not a dream, but your death and that is your life. - it's getting more and more confusing. Could that glass of wine be spoiled? It's not the inability, I've been drinking at home and nothing like that happened.

- All I remember is that you pushed me into that cold lake and... and... you drowned me. - then Victor's eyes, which could be said to be cheerful, disappeared, and this sad version entered instead.

- That was the only way I could fulfill both of our wishes. I'm really sorry, if there was another way, believe me, I would have chosen it...

- What kind of desire is it that you have to kill for? And how can you even be here if I'm dead? I thought that whoever kills a person goes to hell, not heaven.

- Clary... You know we're different from the others. You said you'd spend eternity with me, didn't you?

- Yes, I did.

- This is exactly the confirmation I needed. If you never said it, I couldn't have done it, because the thought of changing you without your will would have haunted me for the rest of my life.

- What do you mean you about changing me?

- It already happened. You already belong to a more advanced, higher order species. You are a vampire, Clary.

- Jesus Victor! I asked you for one thing. Tell me what happenned to me. But you're spouting nonsense like an idiot.

- Oh, so you think, that I'm an idiot?

- Yes!

- Look me in the eye Clary. - I can't help but look into it. - Remember! - then suddenly it was as if an atomic bomb had hit my head. But the explosion was a small scene. From the past. About the day I was looking for Edina.

- Sorry miss! - when I turned around, I saw a well-to-do man in front of me. Her brown locks were combed back, which she covered with a hat. - I'm sorry, but I overheard that you were looking for your sister.

- Yes, that's right, maybe you know something about her? I've never seen you around here before.

- I've been visiting here for a few months now and then. If I have time.

- So you might know something about my sister?

- Do you know why I travel here for several hours? - like most people, I don't like unnecessary chatter either. However, if this strange man can help me, I have to socialize with him, so I shook my head as an answer. - Because of Edina. - did he really say my sister's name or am I just imagining it?

- Edina like my sister? - my voice falls involuntarily.

- Yes. I like her... and more than likely she likes me. That's why I had to make a sacrifice.

- What kind of sacrifice do you mean?

- Please don't interrupt. - the previous helpful tone and kind facial expression disappeared in an instant, and something dark took their place. - She's never coming back here. We are already one species. - he pulled his mouth into a grin, and then something interesting flashed in him. Two canines were longer than the others. And would it be pointed?

- You make up nonsense. Maybe she's already home, and we just avoided each other. Now if you'll excuse me. - I had the will and momentum to move forward, but the man was stuck on my wrist. - What do you want? Let me go!

- Just a moment my dear. - his handsome eyes changed to something completely different, and it was impossible not to look. There was something about him... like he was attracted me to him. - Now we're going to play this conversation again, and that's all you'll remember. You will only remember what I said about your sister when you becomes like us.

Like someone waking up from a trance, I shook my head.

- What was that? - I asked in horror, although I now knew the answer exactly. It's like I had an eye patch on and it just came off.

- You know the answer, my dear. Drink this, it will do you good. - with that he handed me a flask.

- I don't drink, you know that.

- I know. It's not what you think. Just drink it. - I sipped carefully. It was interesting, but it felt incredibly good as it flowed down my throat. Slightly as if it has a caramel aftertaste. It was as if it had spread not only to my stomach, but to my whole body. I felt fresher and stronger, as if I had been part of some adrenaline-filled experience that completely recharged me.

- Well, how was it? Did you like it?

- Yes, it was tasty. What was that? - the former's curious gaze flashed into the face of a child who had just received a new toy from his parents, which he had always wanted. What he wrote on the list in his letter to Santa.

- Blood. - my stomach turned, and it was as if the drink I had consumed earlier wanted to come back. At least a human would expect such a reaction, but this was not the case at all. The thought that what Victor said might be true has a disturbing effect on me. - It will be essential to stay alive from now on. That is why we are superior. Because we are the danger to people, even though there are only a handful of people who still believe in us. In the past, everything was different... - I no longer cared what he said, I completely ignored it, as there was only one question that preoccupied me much more.

- Did this happen to my sister too? Was that you too?!

- Listen Clary... Edina's death was not like yours.

- Oh, so you stabbed her and she died like that?

- No. In order to become a vampire, one must have vampire blood in their body and die. My blood was in the red wine which you drunk, so if you decide otherwise, I won't change you, and my blood will be drained from your body. But it turned out differently, so I had to do it. Edina... Edina had no vampire blood in her body... She just died. A vampire sucked out every drop of his blood. I'm sorry, I didn't want to say to you it that way but...

- I didn't ask you to do this! Victor, I didn't ask for anything like that! We were just talking, for God's sake! - my body took a one hundred and eighty degree turn and headed towards the door to get out of this prison as soon as possible. But before I could reach for the doorknob, Victor grabbed my arm.

- Don't go out that door.

- Why? So that you can hold me captive and live together forever?

- Because if you go out that door, you will harm many innocent people and the guilt will haunt you as long as you live! - I completely froze. - Including your parents. - I never heard him shout. As if he knew the feeling...

- This happened to you too?

- Our species has been living among humans almost invisibly for thousands of years. All of us, without exception, do one or more things during our long life that we regret. If I could go back in time, I would change a lot of things. But I can't. I focus on the present and I only want you. To live with you for an eternity.

- What kind of life is this?

- It'll be happy if we stay together, I'm sure of that.

- Is that why you changed? To be together? Victor I would not have left you!

- Mortals always die Clary. We choose a partner for life. If we fall in love with a mortal and lose them, we may follow them to death. I'm selfish because I want you for myself. That's why I did it.

- You can't love me forever. I'll make your job easier.

This time I turned towards the door, but now I managed to cross the threshold. As soon as my feet hit the grass, I started running as fast as I could. The wind was with me, it felt like it was blowing me forward. But in a careless moment, when I was immersed in the beauty of the landscape, I tripped over a tree branch and fell forward with that momentum. Then darkness moved into my eyes again.