Chapter 10

- Everyone thinks I'm evil because they're right. - íVictor said. I was lying on his chest while he played with my hair.

- What do you mean?

- I bit a little girl a long time ago. He had not yet reached the right age, so she died of it.

- Was that Sam's little sister? - he seemed shocked that I knew about it.

- Yes. - he said sadly. - So he justifiably hates me, because I gave him a reason. Of course, the news reached all of our kind, and it didn't take them long to call me a traitor. And no one cared why happened and what happened.

- I'm interested in. - I said. I didn't just say it so that he could ease his soul, but because I really care. If Victor thinks there's an explanation for what he did, then maybe even if they don't reconcile, they can tolerate each other's company with Sam.

- An ancient vampire made me who I am. Those are the first vampires, Trobador must have told you about them. So my creator name is Vincent Santos. I was 19 when he bit me, he raised a vampire out of me, he taught me everything I know. He gave me everything to make me feel like I belonged to him and to please him. That one little girl died so that a whole town's worth of children wouldn't have to.

- So he blackmailed you? - he nodded. - But why with Sam's sister? I don't understand how he even knew about her? Or did he just pick someone at random?

- No, Vincent knew exactly who to choose. The little girl was my niece. - the words have never resonated so much in my head.

- How is this possible?

- It seems Sam didn't tell everything about himself. The branches of our family run wild. In many areas of the world, you can run into at least one person who is a member of the family.

- Don't you think that if you talked about this with Sam and told him what happened, you two might even be okay? - he looked at me with pity.

- It makes no sense after all these years. - he wanted to say something else but Sam opened the door. When he saw us he completely froze.

- Sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you. - I jumped up like lightning and grabbed his hand so he couldn't run away.

- Sam wait! You should talk to Victor. - he just looked at me as if I told him to lick the blood off my naked body.

- I have nothing to say to him. - he answered bluntly.

- Maybe you don't, but we think you should know something. - Victor tried, but his calm tone backfired. The veins on Sam's forehead were completely visible, he was so nervous.

- What do ,,we" think?! Maybe you want to apologize for breaking into my house, breaking my neck, and harassing Clary?

- Calm down, he wasn't harassing me, and he doesn't want to...

- Clary, don't get involved in this! - Sams eyes flashed lightning. I admit I was scared. After all, I've never seen him in such a state, and I don't know what to do or what not to do to calm him down. I know he's not mad at me, it's just horrible to see him like this.

- Don't talk to her like that! - said Victor to Sam.

- Don't tell me what to do! 

- Calm down, both of you! Sit down! Now! - I tried to use my most respectable voice, which apparently succeeded, because they stopped shouting and sat down on the bed. - Sam, Victor is not here to hurt you. There is something I think you should know, and it might change some things. Please listen to it, and if nothing changes in you after that, he will go away. Since I think this is a matter for you two of you, I'll leave you to yourselves. But there shouldn't be a broken neck or a dead body by the time I get back. - I really think that it belongs only to them, but curiosity burns me. It's only been a minute since I left them there, but it feels like hours.When an hour had actually passed, I heard the door click. I stopped doing the dishes and ran upstairs super fast.

- Well? Did it work? What happened? - I looked at them in turn, waiting for one of them to say something. Eventually Victor started.

- We won't be kissing buddies, but our relationship has clearly left hatred and the desire for death behind.

- We also clarified what is going on between you two. I admit I'm not there for it, but that's your decision. - Sam said.

I am thankful to have a friend like Sam. I would probably freak out if the person I slept with got back together with his ex. I never want to lose him.

// A year and a half later //
I've been dead for a year and a half. The vampire who wrote to me anonymously last year did not come forward at all.

- Happy 182nd birthday Sam! - I roared as I burst into his room and jumped on him with full force. And Victor could watch this assassination from the lodge.

- Ouch! - Sam gave a sign of life.

- Wake up. - I pressed a kiss on his cheek. The sky is still not crystal clear between the Sam and Victor, but it is much better than two years ago.

- Why do I have to get up? As far as I know the birthday boy does what he wants, doesn't he? - Sam whimpered.

- If you don't get up, you won't get your gift. - Sam didn't even need more, he jumped up immediately. I laughed and handed him the present I had chosen together with Victor. It was a novel. Sam has wanted to read it for a long time, but there are few copies of it, so it is difficult to get hold of it. He didn't even tear open the packaging properly, he already recognized the cover.

- No. Is that what I mean? Jesus! Thank you very very very much! - I hugged him and watched as he carefully stroked the cover and put it on the bedside table. He held the book as gently as fragile crystal glasses.//That same day, Sam promised me that he would lend me the book after he had read it. I would like to know why it is such a special specimen. Sam read it in two days, even though it's not an easy ten-page read. I started reading it, but it didn't really hook me. I tried for a week, but I just don't like the theme, so yesterday I gave it back to Sam, who had a good laugh at my suffering.

- Clary - Victor came into the room - are you free tomorrow morning? - he asked, then sat down next to me on the bed.

- Sure, why? Have you planned anything?

- I have a surprise. I think you will enjoy it.

- I trust you. - I answered.

- It is good to hear. How you trust me. After that...

- Didn't you tell us not to bring up the past?

- But something is looming, although I can't really concentrate on it right now. Only you.