01 - She's Remembering

Goosebumps lined my arms like an army of soldiers as we walked down the long corridor. Everything about this place seemed normal, too normal. The beige walls, tiled floors, and framed pictures of nature were too innocent. What I expected to see was multiple medieval torture devises mixed with crazy technology. But no, it was like I was in an old cat ladies home.

Rat Man walked at a fairly brisk pace in front of me. He looked to be in a hurry. Why? I don't know. If we were just going to see my friends I couldn't see why he, of all people, wanted to face them all. Unless he was lying, which wouldn't surprise me. You shouldn't trust anyone in a white suit, they are definitely a rat.

"You might start remembering things within the next day or so, so be prepared," Rat Man spoke, still walking at the same speed.

I jogged up a bit so I was next to him. "Remembering what exactly?" I asked.

"What happened to you throughout the past three weeks. Technically we didn't take those memories away from you, it was all a careless accident."

"Why can't you just tell me, I'm tired of waiting for the answers to magically appear in my head," I complained. "What's the point of keeping me in the dark, right?"

He didn't answer because we came up to a door and stopped. He knocked lightly on the piece of wood before waiting for a response. I didn't understand why until Thomas opened the door.

"You have about thirty minutes," Rat Man said. "When you're done, sit tight- I'll come back for you . Then you'll be reunited with your friends." He gave us a slight nod before saying, "See you in half an hour." Then he was gone.

I walked into the room noticing it had lockers, showers, and fresh clothes for the both of us. I felt awkward being in here. The last thing I remembered was my encounter with Minho in a room like this. I hoped that Thomas didn't find out about it considering Minho was his best friend. If he did know, then this was going to get much more awkward.

"I guess we don't have to get out now, looks like they did all the hard work for us," I said, glancing back at Thomas over my shoulder.

He closed the door before walking up next to me. The boy honestly looked pathetic. He had sweat stains in various spots, his brown hair was sticking out everywhere, and the bags under his eyes were enormous. He really needed this.

"I'm not sure if we really are out yet," Thomas sighed.

I nodded in agreement before I began to take off my shirt.

"Woah!" he exclaimed. "What are you doing?"

I slowly put my shirt back down, sensing his discomfort. I wondered if I had been Teresa or Brenda would he have reacted the same way. Probably not. But nonetheless, I went back to being fully clothed.

"Sorry," I apologized. "But if we're gunna get clean we need to take off our clothes. Unless you wanna shower in them, I don't judge, much."

Thomas rolled his eyes at me while he started to remove his shirt. I really wanted to watch because I've never seen a boy strip in front of me, but I felt like I would be betraying Minho in a way. Even though I didn't know him that well right now. So I turned around before I took off my clothes too. I quickly went into a shower cubicle, suddenly becoming timid. I guess I wasn't as brave as I thought sometimes.

I turned on the water and began to soak myself in it. It felt warm and refreshing, like I was being somehow born again. But my happiness was slowly drifting away as ugly thoughts came to my mind.

The Flare.

I had the Flare.

Someday I'm going to want to kill everybody around me. I'm going to be a creature full of hate and violence. A psychotic monster that's not going to remember what's it's like to be human. That was going to be me, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Did anyone else have it? Or was I the only one? I guess I would find out soon enough.

"Hey, Tommy?" I shouted over the running water.

"What?" he responded.

"Did Rat Man tell you anything about the Flare? Like if you had it or not?"

"Uh, yeah actually. He told me I was immune. How about you?"

When I didn't answer, all that was heard was the sound of water hitting the tile floor. I tried to focus on that so I could spit the words out, but nothing I could do would help me tell Thomas I was going to go crazy.

"That slinthead said you had the Flare, didn't he?" Thomas said.

I cleared my throat before answering, "Yeah. He did. But don't say anything to anyone, especially not Minho."

"Okay, I won't."

From then on out we didn't say a word to each other. He was probably afraid if he did, I would turn into a blubbering mess. If that was the case, he wasn't completely wrong.

When I was done showering I changed into the underwear, jeans, plain white t-shirt, socks, tennis shoes, and blue jacket that they left for me. Thomas had similar attire, except he got a watch.

"Aw, no fair," I wined, eyeing his wrist.

"Hey, you got a jacket," he said. "We could trade if you wanted to."

"No thanks."

Thomas chuckled as I walked over to the mirrors to fix my hair. "That's what I thought."

I ran my fingers through my blonde tangles trying to make it look somewhat good. I've never really bothered with my appearance, but now that I actually had a mirror in front of me I couldn't help it . Thomas had it easy, all he had to do was dry his hair and it looked great.

"Want to wait outside?" Thomas asked me.

I nodded and followed him out the door. We waited there for a few minutes until we saw Rat Man coming down the hall.

"Well aren't you two looking spiffy?" The Rat Man commented, the edges of his mouth crawling up his cheeks in an uncomfortable-looking smile.

"We feel fine actually. So... thanks," Thomas said.

I rolled my eyes. "Just peachy."

"When do we get to see the other Gladers?" Thomas asked, a casual smile on his face.

"Right now." He nodded the way he'd come and gestured for us to follow him. "All of you went through different types of tests for Phase Three of the Trials. We'd hoped to have the killzone patterns mapped out by the end of the second phase, but we had to improvise in order to push further. Like I said, though, we're very close. You'll all be full partners in the study now, helping us fine-tune and dig deeper until we solve this puzzle."

Finally Rat Man arrived at the door. Right when he was about to open it, my head began to hurt immensely. The pain was so great that I fell to my knees.

"What's happening to me?!" I screamed as Thomas got down next to me.

I clutched my head in my hands while the pain got worse with every passing second. Thomas grabbed my shoulder with a panicked look in his brown eyes.

"What did you do?!" he questioned.

"Nothing," Rat Man responded, crossing his arms. "She's remembering."

🌅👔🌅👔🌅👔🌅👔🌅👔🌅👔🌅👔🌅

I am very excited to be starting this book, and I hope you are too!

I love that gif by the way. 😍

~Remember to vote and comment!~