23 - The Mall

Even after I got my memories back it seemed as if the questions would never end. But this question. Oh, this one was a doozy. The machine that detected the Flare had worked perfectly for everyone else. For me, it seemed like it went nuts. I couldn't comprehend how it said I was and wasn't immune. It was impossible. I had been tested before. I knew I had the Flare. All I could come up with was that the machine broke. Or, I just had superpowers. But the first explanation seemed more logical though.

"Enter the detector one at a time please," the woman said. Her voice filled the room, reminding me I was about to enter Denver and I wasn't just existing in my own mind. "We'll begin with Miss Richards."

"I'll see you all on the other side," I sighed.

As I was turning to go Thomas grabbed my arm. "Are you sure about this. What does that thing even do?"

"It gives you a nice, relaxing massage," Minho replied. "What do you think it does?"

"I'm sorry for making sure we're staying safe, alright?"

I rolled my eyes. "Slim it you two." Minho smirked at hearing me use Glader slang. It had been quite awhile since those words left my mouth. "Thomas, all it does is make sure you don't have anything dangerous. I'll be fine."

With that, I turned around and entered the metal hallway

With that, I turned around and entered the metal hallway. The door closed behind me before a few mechanic noises sounded. After a few seconds, the doors in front of me opened up. I could see people bustling around. It was weird seeing them being normal. They weren't running, they weren't afraid, they weren't test subjects. They were people who had no idea how good they had it in this messed up world. They were just shopping in this mall, not worried if their friends would live to see another day. I began to get angry. I didn't know if I was mad at them, or at myself.

That anger subsided when Jorge came through the doors. "Feels weird doesn't it, muchacha?"

"I haven't been in an actual city in what seems like forever. It almost makes me feel normal," I said.

"Soon you will feel normal. Well, as normal as you can be," Jorge told me with a slight chuckle.

A small smile formed on my face. Jorge was a good guy. We were lucky he agreed to help us despite how he can butt heads with Minho on occasion.

Brenda was the next person to emerge from the doors

Brenda was the next person to emerge from the doors. Then it was Minho. Then Thomas. When the brown-haired boy entered the mall a look of amazement filled his features. Minho had the same look, but not as pronounced. Tommy looked around him, taking in all the people and the skyscrapers you could see through the glass ceiling. I probably would have looked the same way if I hadn't gotten my memories back.

"What is this place? Why are there so many people?" he asked

Brenda seemed confused at Thomas' remark. But a look of realization soon emerged. "I keep forgetting you don't have your memories back," she said. "This is called a mall. Its filled with shops and businesses. It runs around the whole wall around the city."

"There's so many..." Thomas began to say but stopped abruptly.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Look."

A man with a scarf covering half of his face was walking directly toward Thomas. He didn't look very happy either. When he came up to us, he gave a curt nod. "We know there was a group who escaped from WICKED. Judging by that Burg you came on I'm guessing you're part of that group. I highly recommend you accept the advice I am about to give you. You don't have to be afraid. We're only trying to protect you."

The man gave Thomas a note. As he did that I studied the part of his face that I could see. He looked familiar, but I just couldn't put my finger on. As he turned to go we met eyes and I could tell he knew me too. But, he just disappeared into the crowd.

"What in the world was that all about?" Minho said. "What does that say?"

Thomas looked down at the note the mystery man had given him. "It says, you need to come meet me immediately. I'm with a group called the Right Arm. Corner of Kenwood and Brookshire, Apartment 2792."

A lump formed in my throat at hearing two of the words he spoke. When I looked at Thomas he seemed to have the same expression I did.

"What's up with you two?" Brenda questioned.

"Anne, uh, you go first," Tommy insisted.

I sighed. "Its another thing with my past," I explained. "And it's not necessarily a good thing."

"What is it?" Minho asked.

I began shifting from one foot from the other. "I was kinda part of the Right Arm before I joined WICKED. I joined after my brother was taken. But it seemed like a dead end to me because I wasn't getting close enough to him. I did what I had to do and I betrayed them."

Brenda started to become angry, but I could tell she suppressed it. "And what's wrong with you?" she directed toward Thomas.

The boy looked me straight in the eyes as he said,"The note, it's from Gally."

♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛
Comment your thoughts on what you think will happen next!

~Remember to vote and comment!~