18 - Floating

"Anne!" Minho yelled over the sound of gunfire.

I fell onto my back and groaned. Minho's hands pressed up against my wound as an attempt to stop the bleeding. I winced as the pressure increased. I've felt pain worse than this, but I couldn't help but feel like this was karma. Karma for being the Executioner in every sense of the word. Maybe this was for best. If I bled out I wouldn't go crazy, I wouldn't hurt anyone else. But I'd die being a killer and not the hero I've always wanted to be.

"We've got to get you to the Berg!" Minho said, with worry in his dark eyes.

I shook my head. "Not now. It's too dangerous. You need to help everyone else. You're the leader. Now go lead, Minho."

"Will you be okay?"

"Yes! Just go!" I told him, even though I was unsure if that was true.

Minho grabbed my Launcher that had slid away from me when I fell. He put it in my hand. He squeezed my fingers tightly. "If anyone even comes near you, shoot them." Minho began to turn away before he stopped suddenly. "Wait for me?"

I smiled through the searing pain

I smiled through the searing pain. "Always."

Minho smiled back before rushing to our friends. With my free hand I gripped my shoulder. More fun firing began to happen, and I imagine it was coming from the good guys this time. I could only hope that we weren't totally outnumbered. Or this would be for nothing. Absolutely nothing. I would let down my friends, myself, and ... and Chuck. I couldn't let that happen.

I heard foot steps coming from right. I turned my head to see a guard barreling toward me. He came to a sudden stop when he noticed I was laying on the ground. We both raised our weapons at the same time. My heart was pounding and my should was right shoulder was throbbing. The difference between the guard and I was that my finger was faster. The man fell to the ground in a ball sparks while convulsing violently. I didn't know who was in more pain, him or me. I'm just glad I wasn't the one who got shot... again.

As I looked up at the ceiling of the hanger I felt useless. I wanted to be next to my friends, battling for our lives. But instead I was laying on the cold ground, already injured. So, with my left arm I raised myself to a sitting position. I got onto my hands and knees and slowly crawled toward Minho while my whole body shook. I felt my blood run down my arm and drop off my elbow. I kept going despite the pain which was screaming at me to stop. I had to keep going. For Chuck.

I got Minho's attention when I placed my Launcher on the box next to his.

"Sorry, couldn't wait," I said.

"What are you doing!?" He asked me.

"Being useful," I told him.