21 - JJ

All of us except for Newt stood outside the cargo door ramp of the Berg. I looked at the giant cement walls that surrounded Denver. They reminded me of the Maze. It was hard to believe that I was finally out of that place. After almost dying, then being put into another Maze, this felt like a breath of fresh air. Throughout my entire life I have never known anything except for fear. I remember when I first saw my parents cry. It was when they found out that only Ethan was immune. Or should I say Chuck. From that moment I knew that my life was never going to be truly happy ever again.

We were about 100 feet away from the big iron doors. I had only been in Denver once. That was before anyone knew exactly how bad the Flare was. At this moment I felt fear again. What if WICKED was already here looking for us? What if they took me away because I wasn't immune? Questions swam through my head making me believe that me going through was a mistake. Maybe I should just stay on the Berg.

"How am I supposed to get in?" I asked Jorge.

His brown eyes looked toward me and squinted because of the sun. "They are going to test you for the Flare. We just have to hope that you haven't contracted the virus yet," he answered.

"What if I have? Rat Man told me I did." I began feeling anxious.

"Then we'll figure it out from there. Lying is his strong suit and so is mine, hermana."

"No kidding," Minho muttered.

Jorge shot Minho a glare before saying, "We're using our real first names with fake last names. They'll love that most of us are immune. That will probably buy us some time if something goes wrong with Anne. We'll only have a day or two before they hunt us down to do something for the government. And Thomas, you need to keep that yapper of yours shut."

"You too, Minho," Brenda added

"You too, Minho," Brenda added. Minho gave her the same type of glare Jorge gave him. "Jorge created fake documents for all of us."

With that Brenda and Jorge made their way to the huge doors. Minho and I walked closely behind, side by side. None of said anything on the way there, I think we were all too nervous. We all had no idea what was about to unfold. I could only hope it would go smoothly. If not, we all know how to fight our way out of horrible situations.

When we got to the doors I heard a buzzing sound go off. Then a female voice said,"state your names and your business."

Jorge cleared his throat before speaking very loudly. "I'm Jorge Gallaraga, and these are my associates, Brenda Despain, Thomas Murphy, Minho Park, and Jean Richards."

I felt a pang in my chest when he said that name. My real name. I hadn't heard it in so long. It felt so odd to me, like I was hearing the name of a stranger. Thomas and Minho stared at me with wide eyes. It was probably weird for them to hear my real name too considering they didn't know their own. I knew Jorge before I was put into the Maze. Maybe it just slipped his mind that I hadn't gone by my old name in what seems like forever. The way I look at it is that I have two names now. They both tell a story of who I was and who I am now.

All of a sudden I heard the woman say, "hold please."

"Jean?" Minho said almost immediately after the woman left.

I nodded. "Yeah, that's my real name. Its actually Jean Jones. Everyone would call me JJ."

Minho looked me up and down. "You don't look like a Jean to me."

"That's because my name is Anne now. JJ is dead."

Minho laughed a little, blowing air out of his nose. "Good that."

"I like JJ," Thomas put in. Minho then elbowed him.

"Slim it, Tommy."

One of the doors began to open. It made a squealing sound that made me want to cover my ears, but I didn't. My heart was racing again. Not only because I was afraid, but because I was excited. I was excited because we were all getting an opportunity to live our own lives. This was our chance to start over, to be new people. All we had to do was walk through these doors. And that's exactly what we did.

♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛Now you know Anne's real name!! And Chuck's!!  (even though I made it up)

♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛
Now you know Anne's real name!! And Chuck's!! (even though I made it up).

~Remember to vote and comment!~