06 - I'm On Your Side

Rat Man entered with a bunch of people dressed in green suits. WICKED was written across the chest making them look very uniformed. The people looked like they belonged in a laboratory, which was where we were coincidentally.

I wondered what they'd do with us once we told them we weren't doing the procedure. Their plan would probably fall apart if my friends and I were an important part to it. The only person that would fit into that category would be Thomas. They wanted us to kill him, but not kill him, which is really confusing. What would they have done if we actually did? I bet they didn't even think that would happen because supposedly their good and trying to save lives.

"We've already assigned each of you a bed," Rat Man said, looking down at papers on a clipboard he'd brought with him. "Those staying in this room are..." He rattled off a few names, including Aris and Joan. Surprisingly none of the names called were the boys from my first maze. "If I didn't call your name, please follow me."

The rest of us walked behind Rat Man until we came to our next destination. Hopefully I wasn't on this list because I didn't want to be the first one to say no to that man. He wasn't stable, that was certain.

When we came to the next door Frypan and Newt were on this list. I let out a sigh of relief. Newt could keep everything under control. After all, he was one of the leaders back in the Maze. He did a pretty good job even after what happened to him.

"I'm not doing it," Newt announced. "You said we could choose and that's my bloody decision." He exchanged an angry look with Thomas that seemed to say they better do something soon or he'd go crazy.

"That's fine," Rat Man replied. "You'll change your mind soon enough. Stay with me until we've finished distributing everyone else."

"What about you?" Thomas asked.

The cook suddenly looked sheepish. "I.. Think I'm going to let them do it."

I was shocked. How could he go back on our plan? We were supposed to be in this together. Did he forget how many of our friends died because of WICKED?

"Are you crazy?" Minho asked, just as surprised as I was.

Frypan shook his head, bearing himself up a little defensively. "I want to remember. Make your own choice; let me make mine."

"Let's move along," Rat Man said.

The door after the next was where my name was called. Thomas, Minho, and Newt all stared at me like they expected me to act like Frypan had and change my mind. It made me angry to think that they didn't trust me fully. I could understand that coming from Thomas, but definitely not Minho and Newt.

"No," I said in an annoyed tone. "I'm not doing it." I glanced over at the three boys and made sure to give them a look that said 'we stay together.'

Rat Man seemed surprised at the words I spoke. But he continued on.

At the last door was where Minho, Teresa, Thomas, Harriet, Pearl, and Grace were called. I knew the four girls were going to say yes, that was for sure. I trusted that Minho and Thomas would keep their word.

"No thanks," Minho said when Rat Mam gestured for everyone to enter the room. "But I appreciate the invitation. You guys have fun in there." He gave a mock wave.

I smiled at the boy even though he couldn't see it. He was still in that angry, betrayed mood and I understood why, but him acting like his same old self made me light up. It made me realize one of the reasons I fell in love with him. I'm still in love with Minho after being separated for who knows how long. I just hope me doing that to him, doesn't make him slip away from me forever.