09 - Now Or Never

I was awakened by loud knocking. Minho, who was still beside me, groaned just as loud. Then, the door opened and the same guards from the day before rushed through. Their launcher were raised and ready to fire at anyone who opposed them. After it was completely obvious that none of us were going to attack, Rat Man entered.

"Rise and shine, boys and girl," he said a little too cheerfully. He scanned over us, almost waiting for us to shoot back some snarky remark like we've always done. "We've decided to give you your memories back after all. Like it or not."

Of course. Of course something had to come along and make it harder for us to get away from this prison for lab rats. I know life is supposed to be hard, but come on. We deserve a break once in awhile.

"Like hell you are," Newt growled while getting out of his bed.

"You told us we didn't have too," Thomas added.

"I'm afraid we don't have much of a choice," Janson said.

I glared at the man in the man in the white suit hoping he would drop dead right there. When he, unfortunately, didn't I stood up to confront him. "Bullshit," I began. "This whole thing has been about choices you have made. You chose who to test, how to test them. Who to keep alive, who to die... or who to bring back alive. You've always had a choice to make and we've never had a say in any of it. Why can't you let us have that choice now? We deserve it after what you've put us through. We don't want to remember."

The room was so tense that it made me more anxious than angry. Any wrong move and someone would go off. I had a feeling it would be Newt considering his face was getting red because he was so pissed off. The whole time I've known Newt I never thought he would be the one to explode. If it was going to be someone it would be Minho. But right now he was the calmest. He was still laying on the bed like there wasn't a care in the world.

Janson cleared his throat. "You need to understand that we have to finish the blueprints. And in order to do that we need you four to get your memories back. Don't you want to cure yourself? Cure your friends?" He looked over at Newt, trying to prove a point.

"I don't care about myself. This isn't about me anymore, its about them," Newt said, bawling his hands into fists.

"You know he's right," Minho spoke up. He jumped up from the bed and made his way next to me. "If we can save you too then its worth it. We'd be shuck idiots if we stayed in this room any longer. Lets go and save some lives."

I was very confused to say the least. But that confusion disappeared when Minho sent me a sly wink as he was leaving the room. At that moment I realized he had a plan. No wonder he was acting so calm, he knew exactly what he was doing. That boy somehow keeps finding ways for me to fall in love with him.

Rat Man gave us all weird looks as we willingly walked through the door. It was like we suddenly became robots who were programmed to do whatever he wanted. I think it made him uneasy because he trailed a few feet behind us and the guards. I looked over at Thomas who gave a slight, nervous nod. I squeezed his shoulder, somewhat trying to reassure the boy. I knew it probably wouldn't work, but right now he needed to know he had people who were going to help him no matter what. We all needed that after what we were about to attempt.

Everything was beginning to feel calmer until Rat Man began to speak. "When this is over you'll be heroes."

"What about everyone else who died?" I asked. "Are they just going to be forgotten?"

He shook his head. "The subjects who-"

Janson didn't get to finish his sentence because Newt pounced on him. He grabbed Rat Man's suit and slammed him against the wall. "Call them subjects again and I'll break your bloody neck!"

The guards rushed forward and threw Newt to the ground. They were about to shoot him when Janson stopped them. "Don't! We just need to get this over with. Its time to do what we need to in order to finish what we started."

"Newt, Minho, Anne. He's right," Thomas agreed. "We do need to get this over with. It's time we did what we're supposed to do. We all agreed to it just last night.

Minho gave me a nervous smile, which I returned. Thomas breathed heavily and Newt balled his hands into fists once again. We were all ready to fight for our lives. No matter what the cost may be. It was now or never.

______________________________

~ Don't forget to vote and comment! ~

It's about to get intense guys.