04 - Maybe Remembering Isn't That Great

I stared up at Rat Man as my body became stiff with surprise. After the two times they took my memories away they were just going to give them back? Just like that? Was there no test to see if you worthy enough to know who you were? Because it wouldn't surprise me if there was.

I sat down in between Harriet and Minho, my heart beat racing. I looked over at my friend and gave her a weary smile.

Rat Man cleared his throat. "As you were informed in your one-on-ones, the Trials as you've known them are over. Once your memories are restored, I think you'll believe me and we can move on."

I scoffed. "Move on? You took our lives away from us! There is no moving on."

Because I interrupted him, the skinny man became angry. "If you would let me finish, maybe you would change your mind on that. There is a reason I brought you all here and it wasn't to be yelled at by some confused girl."

I dug my finger nails into the arms of the chair trying not to go up there and kick his nuts. "I am not confused. I know more then you think, asshole," I blurted out.

"No you don't. Don't be stupid."

My body was now radiating heat because I was so pissed off. I was going to stand up and jump up on that stage and give everyone a show, but Minho stopped me. He gripped my wrist before leaning over to say something in my ear.

"The first time we kissed, you remember that?"

I nodded.

"That was the best day of my life, even though your mouth still tasted like puke," he chuckled. "But it was worth it."

A small smile found its way onto my face, completely calming me down. Rat Man took that as a sign to continue.

"You've all been briefed on the Flare. And the reasons for the Trials. We are extremely close to completing our blueprint of the killzone. The things we need- to further refine what we have- will be better served by your full cooperation and unaltered minds. So, congratulations."

"I ought to come up there and break your shuck nose," Minho said. His voice was terrifyingly calm considering the threat in his words. "I'm sick of you acting like everything is peachy- like more than half of our friends didn't die."

Now it was his turn to get mad.

"I'd love to see that rat nose smashed!" Newt snapped.

We were all angrier then ever now.

Rat Man rolled his eyes and sighed. "First of all, each of you has been warned of the consequences should you try to harm me."

I raised my hand and put on a fake smile. "Excuse me sir, but I didn't get to hear the consequences because I too busy having my head bashed in."

"Well I'll tell you now that you're being watched," he told me. "Second, I'm sorry for those you've lost- but in the end it'll be worth it. What concerns me, though, is that it seems that nothing I say is going to wake you people up to the stakes here. We're talking about the survival of the human race."

Minho sucked in a breath as if to begin a rant, but he stopped short, closing his mouth.

"Let's all just slim it," Thomas spoke evenly. "Let's hear him out."

Frypan spoke up just as Rat Man was about to continue. "Why should we trust you people to... What was it called? The Swipe? After everything you've done to us, to our friends- you want us to remove the Swipe? I don't think so. I'd rather stay stupid about my past, thank you very kindly."

I had to agree with him. I didn't want to remember what else I planned with WICKED. That would ultimately kill me.

I looked over at Teresa. She was staring into space before she said, "WICKED is good."