11 - Rebels

All of us, including Rat Man, stood up. Thomas and Brenda both held Launchers in their hands which made me wonder how much trouble they had to go through to get them. It couldn't have been easy considering Thomas was supposed to be getting his memories back. But I was glad he fought to help us. One thing that my stomach go in knots was seeing Brenda. I'm pretty sure she didn't trust be because of what she told Thomas. Everyone who's around me dies. No matter how much I wanted to believe it wasn't true, I knew it was. 

"What in God's name are you doing?!" Janson practically screamed at the two teens. Brenda shot the two guards that were ready to shoot them. "Stop!"

At the sudden noise two more guards rushed in and pushed Brenda and Thomas to the ground. Thomas still clung to his Launcher so I ran forward. "Thomas!" I yelled. As if he read my mind, he threw up the weapon before I caught it. Without hesitating, I shot the guard of top of the boy. Minho and Newt were already tackling the one on top of Brenda. 

Thomas scrambled up then grabbed the guards Launcher. "Thanks, Annie," he said while giving me a small smile. 

"You're welcome, Tommy," I chuckled. I elbowed him slightly and gestured toward the frightened rat. "You better go deal with that animal."

The brown-haired boy walked up to Janson, his Launcher raised up to his face. I followed closely behind just in case anything decided to go wrong. 

"Give me your key card, then get on the ground, hands on your head." Thomas' voice was steady. It was so steady in this tense situation that it made me realize how conditioned we were to evil. We've been through so much pain and hardships that we were becoming used to it. No teenagers deserve this. Especially not my friends. 

"This is complete lunacy," Rat Man said while handing Thomas his key card. "There is zero chance of you rebels getting out of this complex. More guards are already on their way."

"You've trained us to be rebels," I told the skinny man. "This is nothing." 

He smiled as if he knew something I didn't. "Oh Anne, you were a rebel before we even touched you."

My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

Janson opened up his mouth to speak but he was interrupted by Brenda. "Come on Thomas, we've got to go!"

"How did you put it?" Thomas asked. "The worst five minutes of your life?" 

Janson didn't even have time to blink before Thomas launched a grenade at his chest. He fell on to ground screaming in pain as smoke and electricity rose from his body. The room began to fill an awful smell of something burning. If I had to take a guess I would assume that it was a rat. An evil rat.

"That can't feel good," Thomas said calmly. 

Brenda stood next to us and observed the twitching man. "It supposedly won't kill him," she said. 

"That's a shame," Minho said after standing up. I looked next to him to see the guard he tackled tied up to a chair with his belt. The sight made me laugh silently. "The world would've been better off."

I made my way over to Minho because looking at Rat Man wriggling around like that for too long made me sick. Plus, I wanted to be next to the person who made me feel the safest in this dark situation. He smiled at me when I was close to him. There was a look of a amazement in his eyes, but I couldn't figure out why it was there. 

"We're leaving. Now," Thomas said suddenly. 

"I'll bloody drink to that," Newt spoke. 

Minho chuckled. "That's exactly what I was thinking." 

"Me too," I added. 

We all looked at Brenda to see if she was in on our plan. Even though it wasn't much a plan, more of a an idea of what we wanted. She lifted her Launcher and nodded at us. 

"I hate these people just as mush as you," she informed us. "I'm in. For sure." 

Minho and I immediately met eyes. We both smiled and were both truly happy. We were going to get out of this place for good no matter what it took. We were going to be free. We were going to finally be together without fear of being separated until one of us died. Hopefully, it would be me and not him. 

"We got to get going," Brenda said. "I don't know how long a blast from one of these lasts. He's definitely going to be angry when he wakes up so I suggest we go now." 

I glanced over at Janson who now had his eyes closed, but wasn't twitching like before. I got nervous at the thought of him getting up right now and going after Thomas. I had a feeling he wouldn't stop until the boy was dead. 

"What's the plan?" Newt asked. 

"To get out of here," I said, stating the obvious. 

"Well, Jorge's a pilot," Brenda offered. "If we could somehow make it to hangar, to his Berg..." 

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps sounded in the hall. 

"They're coming!" Thomas said, becoming panicked. 

Minho ran up to the door, getting into a fighting stance. "They'll all have to come through right here."

I could tell the guards were close by how loud their stomping was getting. They most certainly weren't coming here to have a nice, calm tea party. They were coming here to put us in our place, to drag us back into the cage they made specifically for five teenagers. 

"Anne, Newt!" Thomas called. "Get on either side of the door. Brenda and I will shoot the first few that come through, you two catch the rest. Then go out the the hallway, we'll be right behind you." 

Minho backed away a few steps to allow me closer access. He was the only one without a Launcher, but that wouldn't stop him. He was ready to fight. 

"Don't do anything stupid," I said to Minho jokingly. 

"I never do stupid things. Considering I got you to love me I must be pretty smart," he said with a wink as the first guard came through the door. 

➶➶➶➶➶➶➶➶➶➶➶➶➶➶➶

What is Rat Man talking about??? Hmmm???

~Remember to vote and comment!~