19 - Close to him

As I came to my senses and my eyes slowly opened I heard a voice.

"Anne, wake up."

My heart sped up a bit at those words. The first person I imagined being next to me was Chuck. My little brother. The reason I was in this position in the first place. In some way, him being taken could be seen as a good thing. I've met all these wonderful people... who I guess I will have for the rest of my short life.

But when I woke up more I realized it wasn't my brother, it was Minho. I noticed we were in cargo hold where there was an array of furniture. I was on a couch with a blanket on top of me.

"We made it?" I asked, my throat dry.

"Yeah. We did. I hate to say it but I'm glad Brenda was here. When we got on the Berg she took the bullet out of you and fixed you up in the medical area. We brought you here to sleep with the rest of us," Minho informed me.

I sat up a little with the help of Minho. My shoulder still hurt like a bitch. There was some bandages over it, concealing the stitched up wound. I saw that Newt, Thomas, and Brenda were all lying on a couch or a reclinable chair. All them were passed out.

"Why'd you wake me up?" I asked the boy.

"You were crying in your sleep. I thought something was wrong."

"I saw my br-" I began to cough before I could finish. "Can I get some water?" I managed to get out.

"Yeah, one sec." Minho stood up and exited the cargo hold.

When he came back he had a glass cup in his hand. Just seeing the water sloshing around made my mouth seem dryer then it was. When the coldness of the glass touched my fingertips I instantly brought it up to my mouth. I chugged the water down so fast it felt like it barely touched my tongue.

"Thirsty, huh?" Minho chuckled.

"Damn right I was thirsty

"Damn right I was thirsty. I could drink the whole ocean if I had the chance."

Minho smiled. "So what were you going to say?"

My face dropped. "I saw my brother, Chuck."

Minho's eyebrows furrowed. "Oh, I'm sorry, Anne."

"No, no. It's okay. I felt like I got to say goodbye to him. I don't know if I'd ever get that opportunity."

The black-haired boy grabbed my hand. "Well I'm happy. At least something good happened to you in this jacked world."

"