17

Ashanti Myers
(two weeks later, on the way to school)

"What we doing here Shanti?" My dad asked me as he pulled into a parking space in the Walgreens.

"Okay dad. I got to talk to you about something real important. And honestly, it's nothing you can do." I said to him.

"What Shanti?" He said cutting the car off and putting sun visor up.

"Dad, for real. I did something bad." I said dragging out the reason of being here.

"Ashanti."

"Okay, dad. Me and Neo had sex and now I think I'm pregnant."

"And why you think that?"

"Cause I missed my period, and I remember he didn't pull out." I said hiding my face from my dad.

"Shan. I literally told you to let me know when you was gone do this. You don't be thinking. How you gone be a lawyer now? Law school take years, time, and dedication. How you gone do that and you finna have a kid?" My dad said whisper yelling. I started crying.

"Ari had took me to get a test and I had already took a test a couple of days after it happened, and it said negative. I'm sorry dad. It's not my fault."

"Fuck do you mean it's not your fault? Having sex takes two people."

"I wasn't in my right mind." And I soon as that came out my mouth I knew I hadn't said the right thing.

"Fuck do you mean? That nigga drugged you? What the fuck." My dad said starting the car back up.

"No dad. I promise he didn't! I swear. I was just so high cause I had just gotten back home from being with Ari. And he was already outside the house. He took me to his car and he pulled over. He talked to me and I told him how I was feeling. And he took it upon himself to do that. But I did partake in the activities." I said sniffling the snot back in my nose.

"Oh my god. Here. Go buy two." My dad said giving me his card.

Before getting out the car, he grabbed my arm. "If you are pregnant, what do you plan on doing?"

"I don't know." I said wiping my face on my hoodie. He let me go and I went inside to buy the tests.

________________
Damien (Neo) Brown

"What you mean?"

"You got me pregnant Damien." Ashanti said through the phone. I could tell she was crying.

"Bro- I'm finna come see you. You at home?" I asked her. She cried harder.

"No, I'm at the clinic." She said still crying.

"What you there for? Asha- Bro. Please tell me you not finna do what I think you finna do." I asked her choking over my words.

"I have a future and it doesn't include children right now."

"BRO YOURE NOT THE ONLY ONE. I DONT GET TO MAKE A DECISION? I DONT GET A CHOICE?" I said yelling, starting to cry.

"Damien. I can't do this right now."

"Then don't. Have my child. Fuck do you mean? You don't have to do this. Just give it to me after you deliver it. Ashanti, please just don't do this." I said pleading with her through my tears.

"Shan, we can do this together. I promise I won't leave your side. I'm not gonna leave you. I'll break up with Everly. I can't live with out you Shan." I said crying to her.

"Okay Damien. I'm not gone do it." She said sniffing. I wiped my face and thanked her.

"I love you so much. Thank you!" I said before hanging the phone up. I had a feeling that this kid would finally bring us closer together.

-the end