Chapter 4 - Stung

"He's been stung. In the middle of the day?"
-

(Scene with Thomas and Alby in the morning, Thomas carving his name into the wall.)

...

Today, you stayed behind working with Newt, while Ben partnered with Minho for the run.

"Has anyone tried climbing to the top?" Thomas ask.

"Tried it." Newt says.

"The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top." You tell him.

"And besides, where are you gonna go from there?" Newt asks.

"Yeah, well, what about the box? Newt time it comes up, you just jump-"

"No, we tried that." Newt says. "The box won't go back down with someone in it."

"Okay, well, what if we-"

"No, we've tried it, alright?" Newt chuckles annoyed. "Twice, alright? Trust me, anything that you can think of, we've already tried. The only way out of here is through the Maze. Now, look, you wanna be helpful?"

Thomas gives him a small nod.

"Here, go dig us up some more fertiliser." Newt throws a bucket to him.

You chuckle and look up at Newt, feeling bad for the guy. Thomas sighs and roll his eyes annoyed, before going.

...

(Scene with Thomas and then Ben attacking him.)

"Hey! Help!" You hear Thomas exclaim. Newt and you look up confused.

Turning to the sound you see Thomas running away from someone. You scramble to your feet and run toward him.

"I'll kill you." Ben shouts at Thomas.

Liam had heard the exclamation sooner and was closest by now.

"Hey!" Liam shouts when he had run up to the two and when he turns to him, he kicks Ben off Thomas harshly. "Hold him down." He says and the others now around helps hold him down.

"Calm down." Gally says.

But he just keeps trashing in their hold.

"Yo, what the hell happened?" Frypan asks.

"He just attacked me." Thomas says.

"You okay?" Chuck asks him.

You kneel behind Bens head to look at him and to try and calm him.

"Calm down, Ben." You tell him softly.

Alby walks up and Ben understands his look.

"No, no, no." Ben shakes.

"Lift his shirt." Alby tells them.

"I didn't mean it!" Ben exclaims.

They lift his shirt and you gasp a little. He was stung.

"No, no. Please, please." Ben pleads, already knowing what happens next.

"He's been stung." Gally states the obvious, looking at Liam. Then turns to Alby. "In the middle of the day?"

Then ben looks up at you.

"Help me, please." And you frown worriedly and sad. Tears starting to form in your eyes.

Alby sighs and stands up.

"Put him in the pit."

"Everybody help. Take him to the pit." Liam says, ordering the ones closest to help. "Medjack!" He shouts for him to come help. As they struggle with the trashing Ben.

"Get off of me! Get off of me!" Ben exclaims as they carry him to the pit. "Please, no! He did this! Please, stop. No! Please, help me!"

You frown sadly toward Ben, glancing once at Thomas before you leave.

...

(Scene with Thomas and Alby.)

...

You watch from a distance, beside Chuck.

(Scene with Ben being taken to the gate to the maze.)

"Poles!" Alby shouts.

You take your arm around Chucks shoulders and turn him around, leaving.

(Ben getting banished to the Maze for the night.)

...

Gally is crossing out Bens name on the wall and you sit with Chuck.

"Do you think he might make it?" Thomas asks you and Chuck.

"Ben? No." Chuck answers him.

Thomas looks to you and you shake your head to him, agreeing with Chuck.

"No one survives a night in the Maze." You whisper, not being able to trust your voice from cracking.

You always took it hard, when you lost someone.

"You just gotta forget about him." Chuck sighs.

You frown, looking down at the younger boy, but he knows you would want to say something about remember the good memories or something, so he just leans to the side and tries to sleep.

With a sigh you turn to Thomas, he shares a sad look with you before he turns. His gaze landing on Alby. You're about to say something when Liam comes up to you and Thomas.

"You ready?" He asks, stretching out his hand for you to take.

"Goodnight Thomas." You tell him and take your boyfriend's hand.

"Goodnight Y/N, Liam." Thomas says and Liam nods before you both turn to leave for Liams hammock.

...

You were a cold one. In your first few night you had barely slept.

Some blankets helped a little but after you and Liam got together you mostly just slept snuggled up into him. Not just to show affection, his body heat kept you warm at night.

"I don't like you going out tomorrow." Liam mumbles into your neck and you sigh.

"I know, but Minho has to go with the newest Runner, you know, he has to take over for Ben. It's best that he goes with him and i go with Alby." You tell him.

Alby had talked with Liam, you, Newt and Minho before going to bed. Telling you that he wanted to go retrace Bens route.

Minho was supposed to go with him, since he had run the same area, but he had to take the newest Runner on the other side. So it came down to you coming with Alby in the morning, running the route Minho told you they had taken, and where he and Ben had split up and met up again.

"It will be fine. I promise." You reassure him, even though you feel a bit uneasy yourself. "Let me do what i do best." You turn to him.

He stares at your face for a moment, before leaning in and kissing you.

"Sleep well." He mumbles, leaving open mouth kisses on your neck as he buries his face into you.

"I always do when I'm with you." You tell him and you feel him smile against your skin.

-