Chapter 5 - Night in the Maze

"They should be back by now."
-

(Thomas dreaming, getting some memories back.)

Thomas startles awake in his hammock.

Turning to the doors when he hears the rumbling, he squints his eyes. Seeing Newt, you, Liam and Alby by the gate as it opens.

He sees Alby shaking Liams hand before turning to newt sharing a few words while you give Liam a quick kiss. Then you and Alby turn around and run into the Maze. Liam and Newt watching after you before they turn and go to get started for the day.

...

"Alright, but why would Alby go into the Maze?" Thomas asks Newt. Sitting on a lodge with Chuck. "I mean, he's not a Runner."

"Things are different now." Newt tells him. "Alby went to retrace Bens footsteps before sundown. Look are you gonna help?" He asks gesturing to what he was supposed to be doing.

"So, he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung?" Thomas asks confused.

"Alby knows what he's doing. Alright? He knows better than any of us." Newt tells him.

"What does that mean?" Thomas asks annoyed and Newt sighs.

"Alright, it's like you've heard, yeah?" Newt steps toward him. "Every month, the box sends up a new arrival. But someone has to be first, right? Someone had to have spent a whole month int the Glade alone. And that was Alby." He tells him.

Thomas looks at him and Newt goes back to work while continuing to talk.

"I mean, it can't have been easy. But when those other boys started coming up, one after the other, he saw the truth. And he learned that the most important thing is that we all have each other. Because we're all in this together."

Thomas stays silent as he listens.

"Liam came next, after Alby. Then after just few months, Y/N. Alby, Liam and Y/N have been here the longest out of everyone here. They have been through some dark times, having to cross out too many names on that wall." Newt adds with a sigh. "They feel responsible for us and do everything they can to protect us."

Thomas just stay quiet for a long moment, before standing up and helping Newt work.

"There you go, Greenie."

Then a rumbling sounds, but not from the maze.

It's starts raining.

...

Everyone one is under the shelter looking out towards the doors.

"They should be back by now." Thomas says. "What happens if they don't make it?"

"They're gonna make it." Liam says, standing beside Newt, staring at the doors. Waiting for you to just casually run through them, laughing with Alby about being soaking wet.

"What happens if they don't?" Thomas walks up beside them.

Liam ignores him, but Newt turns to him.

"They're gonna make it." He tells him.

...

Everyone stand crowded together by the door, waiting.

"Guys, come on, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas asks.

"That's against the rules." Gally tells him. "Either they make it back or they don't."

Liam really hated the rules right now.

Rumbling sounds and wind blows from the maze, making them cover their face. The doors starts closing.

"Oh, no." Chuck mumbles.