MATTHEW MURDOCK 2

🕷

I sat at the top of my tower, awaiting Matthew. My legs swung over the side of the building as I looked out at the city lights mixing together with the pitch darkness of the sky.

I loved those lights. I loved the city, in some aspects. I missed helping Matthew fight some random guys out there, although, of course, they weren't random to him. He was so persistent on keeping me out of it all. Especially out of his situation with some guy called the Punisher.

He told me the Punisher would've liked me.

I didn't blame him for keeping his secrets. But that didn't mean I couldn't figure out for myself who Frank Castle was. Or what he did. Or who he lost.

"Hey."

I jumped at the sudden grovely voice. I slipped off of the edge of the building but grabbed onto the ledge, looking up to see the familiar Matthew. He leaned down to me.

"I thought you had spider senses?"

"That's not how they work." I grunted as I grabbed the ledge with both hands.

I pulled myself up just enough for Matthew to grab my hand and help me up.

Honestly, was he even blind?

I sat back down instantly after getting up fully. He sat next to me with his leather suit loudly.

I chuckled. "Red goblin back in action, huh?"

"It's Daredevil. Or the devil of hells kitchen if anything."

"Nah, I don't think you're a devil."

He hummed, heightening his tone into a question.

"For one, you're Catholic. For two, you're too much of a good guy." I bumped his shoulder gently.

He nodded. He seemed off. I didn't understand why.

"What's wrong?"

He sighed. "You know I can hear heartbeats?"

"Mhm." I looked at him, showing interest.

It was easier to look at someone when they couldn't see you too. Less of a chance for them to know how you really feel, but with him, he knew everything anyway.

"I can hear yours right now. Beating." He tapped my leg, repeating the melody of my beat.

I watched his finger tap in rhythm.

"But.. lately... yours has been... irregular." His voice lowered a bit.

"Irregular?"

He nodded, taking a pause. He knew I was scared of his answer. He could hear the rate of my heart.

"At night, it picks up."

He finished his sentence with a higher pitch, letting me know that he wanted to know why.

This was basically an elongated way of saying he was worried about me.