BROKE MY HEART

🕷

"Hey, Matt. You okay?" Foggys voice strained.

"As good as I can be."

He pat my back with an encouraging smile that lingered.

"I'll miss fighting with her to keep her in her apartment."

"Me too, Foggy."

He gave me a warming hug. I could feel him suppressing his anguish, keeping it together like everybody else around here was. He released me and walled me back the others.

Everyone was leaving. Only Steve, Bucky, Peter, and us were left. They all migrated to the outdoors. Foggy opened the door, revealing the voices of the others conversing. We walked over to them slowly.

🕷

I watched the others from the bench with Peter. Mostly keeping my eyes on Bucky. I knew I still needed to give him the cat, it's what Rudy would've wanted.

I shook my head before turning it to see Peter. He stroked Poisons head as she kept her eyes shut tightly.

"Why don't you take her home."

Peter swung his head over to me. "No, Mr. Stark... she's your -"

"She's Rudy's. And Rudy would want you to have her. Plus, look at her."

We both glanced at Poison. "She needs you just as much as you need her."

Peter smiled a bit. "Thanks Mr. Stark."

I smiled at the kid with my eyebrows folded back. "Feel free to go up to her room. Look around."

He looked up at me again, giving me a quick nod. He stood up with Poison following his every move. He was so much like her. It almost looked like her when he walked away with Poison stuck to his leg like glue. My eyes glossed over like a candy apple. Glistening as the rain fell from the sky. With a heavy breath I stood up from the bench, making my way over to the group. Specifically to Bucky. They welcomed me with smiles Pepper gave me a small side hug before going back inside. I made eye contact with Bucky, uncomfortably.

"Barnes? A minute?"

He looked over at Steve, almost asking if it was safe. Steve nodded with an encouraging smile. He followed me not far off to the side.

"Let's just get to the point." I averted my eyes to the cat.

I adjusted my grip on her and held her out to him. He furrowed his eyebrows.

"What's this for?"

"Rudy wants you to have her. Said she reminded her of you."

His eyes softened before he grabbed the cat timidly. He admired the metal arm I made for her quietly.

"She wants you to name her."

He looked up at me. "Why?"

"I don't know. She just found her when she was shot, waiting in an alley. Said she would be helpful for you."

I looked at the cat, not squirming for freedom like she did with everyone except for Rudy and I. She sniffed up at his face, rubbing against him lovingly.

"I don't see why she liked you as much as she did. But she did." I shrugged. "She wanted to say goodbye."

I noticed his face fall.

Maybe he did care.

Awkward silence came along until he left with Steve. Shortly after that Matthew and Foggy left too. I went back inside with Rhodey. Peter gave Pepper a hug in the living room as we entered. He looked back at us and came over to give us hugs. He grabbed Poisons things that Pepper had helped him get together and left. Poison ran back to us, pushing her body against each of us as a goodbye.

"We'll visit you." Pepper whispered to her as she crouched down.

She pet her behind the ears after she gave her a kiss on the head. Poison then ran back out to be with Peter. I walked over to Pepper who was now staring at nothing like I had been before. I caressed her arm gently. She looked up at me in a bit of surprise.

She smiled the same way she had been all day. I reciprocated the smile.

"I'm gonna go clean up."

"Let me." I brought her in for a hug.

She sighed heavily into the hug. "No, it's okay. I need to be alone."

I nodded. She pulled away and disappeared behind the wall of the kitchen. I plopped myself onto the couch, rubbing my temple with my fingers to ease the tension.

Rhodey sat next to me. "You okay, Tony?"

"That's a terrible question to ask."

"Just don't go all Tony on us."

I furrowed my eyebrows as I let my head fall to face him.

"You know, like when you threw that party and I stole your suit?"

"I let you take it."

He scoffed. "Sure you did."

I shook my head.

"I'm here for you Tony. You and Pepper." Rhodey placed his hand in my shoulder.

"Thanks, Rhodes."

He nodded.

"I miss her."

"I know. But she's happy now, Tony. She's not suffering anymore."

I stared at the couch, remembering her screams. The way she struggled with the pain.
It killed me to see her like that.

It broke my heart.

But Rhodey was right. She was with them now.
After so long.

I looked up at Rhodey. He gave me a sympathetic smile. I nodded gently as my eyes began glossing over again.

My girl was finally happy again.

🕸