Atlantean Influence

David

Ocean Shores, Washington

I have been driving for what seems like forever, driving down this misty county road as the Pacific Ocean constantly pounds the yellow-white cliffs of the Washington Coast.

Here, the ocean mingles with humanity, struggling to survive in the misty twilight between this world and the next.

My phone then pings me, alerting that I had just received a text message with a picture included:

---

'Meet me by the mermaid statue, in the town of Ocean Shores.

I will be waiting for you at Hotel Shilo.'

This was how my life became intertwined with fairytales

all beginning with a text and a mission to uncover mermaids!

---

I walked into the hotel lobby, shaking off the raindrops from my windbreaker.

I glance up, immediately seeing the statue of two bronze mermaids in the center of the lobby, just beyond the check-in desk. The statue was that of two mermaids: an adult mermaid riding the back of a dolphin, while guiding her child, through a forest of green kelp...

Their scales were as blue as the deep ocean sky, with golden yellow fins that contrasted the bumpy scaly texture of their tails. Their skin was the color of autumn bronze. A work of art, though its true meaning forgotten.

I noticed that a tall woman was standing beside the mermaids, smiling as she glanced across the tiled lobby, looking directly at me as if she had known me for her whole life.

She had the blondest of blonde hair that I had ever seen. Her face was radiant as the sun, flawless, and glowing with youth. She was wearing her rubber rain gear; even though there wasn't a single drop of rain inside the dimly lit yellow tinted hotel.

"Good afternoon, I presume that you are Mrs. Azaes?!" I walked over to her, smiling.

"Kiera Azaes, but please call me Kiera." she comments as she then shakes my hand, smiling back "And you must be Mr. Forsyth?"

"Yes! Please feel free to call me, David." I grin, looking around the large hotel with its 1970s architecture "Nice place to meet, luckily it is far drier in here, than outside!"

"It is!" she chuckled "Been a dreary misty day on the shores! Perfect time to talk about mermaids!"

'Wow, she just went there without even a moment hesitation about her ego!' As I knew that Kiera was a fanatic about mermaids.