Sisterhood

Arista

Dr. Ross and Chris have finally gone...promising me that I was safe...but I no longer felt safe in this world. Just looking out the window was proof of that -- I was being hunted like a wild animal!

My whole reality has been turned upside down as I have been cut off from my Ma and Da, and forced to rely on strangers to survive in this foreign land.

To add to the mystery, it would seem that I have finally, and unintendedly, joined the sisterhood of mermaids. Even now, I silently wonder just how much of my humanity still remains? Humans do not have flippers! They cannot breathe underwater! And certain does not transform into a fish from just a single drop of water.

I walked lazily over to the sofa as I sat down and turned on the TV to the news channel. Da always said that if I wanted to know what was happening in my world, to watch—but never trust the news entirely.

Every outlet channel was reporting somewhere up and down the Queensland coast. From south down Kirra Beach, to north up to Cooktown. To east across the Coral Sea, and west into the nothingness of the Australian Outback.

It is being called the 'isolated event'.

The disaster seems to have had the most devastating impact on the Gold Coast. If one thing is certain...no one knows exactly what it was...but death toll is projected to be in the tens of thousands.

"Yeah, because they keep killing the survivors!" I commented at the idiot box, irritated!

The news goes live to Southport where police have apprehended a group of thugs who had a shootout with local authorities. The chief of police was showing one of the guns as I looked closely at it...it was one of those weird futuristic guns that the soldiers had!

'Police have commented that this militia might be responsible for the murder of 100 survivors of the electrical storm.' says the announcer as the chief of police displays one of the guns. 'They seem to be using some type of experimental weaponry that seems to run strictly off of water.' as they show the collection of guns that they have collected.

'And did they comment on who they were working for?' asks one reporter as the chief shakes his head.

'They all were found dead in the back of the detainment van...looks like suicide.' the chief replied, but his eyes still held doubt. What would compel someone to use deadly force and then use deadly force upon themselves! That is just how wars are not fought!

I heard a rapt on the door as I was startled and looked over to the locked door, wondering who it might be.

'No one knows I am here!' I think as I rise and walk over to the door and look through the peek hole and see the same Asian lady who had saved me last yesterday standing patiently outside my door.

She knocks again as I back away from the door...she could not have found me! Unless she is hunting me!

I refuse to say a single word as I feel safe behind a 1 ¾" thick steel door. I heard the lock disengage as the door then opened and I rushed to hide on the other side of the sofa, arming myself with a lamp!

She walks in, looking at me holding the lamp in my hand as I barked, ready to fight to the death if needed.

"Get out!"

"Calm down!" she says as she looks at the lamp. "And put down the lamp before you get hurt!" She closes the door and stands at a distance for me.

"How did you get in here?" I ordered as she looked exasperated.