The Crystal Cave

Adelyn

I was given just one simple task: watch over the hatchling's eggs. I couldn't even do that!

Here I am now nestled down in the sharp corals as I watched the Atlantean fleet preparing for a full out assault on my home. I have to admit, I'd rather be here on the eve of war than hiding like some coward in a dank crystalline cave from a bygone age.

I hardly know Amira, Jenna or Ariana...but to me, they are my sisters...my family and I trust them with my life. I felt safe in these corals, deep, below the Atlantean Fleet.

When I heard Jenna cry out in pain, I turned to see what the problem was as I felt a burning sensation and looked at this dart embedded in my chest and another in my upper arm. They looked like the spines off of a sea urchin.

I felt my arm and chest go numb as I looked around and saw a green eel-like ship coming towards us. I wanted to warn my sisters that we had been found...but it was far too late.

[Go!] I heard Amira scream as she seemed to fall over, paralyzed.

I managed to get my tail to work. I guess being an adult has slowed down the toxin as I look around for a place to get away...just as I am shot again. This time in the back! Who shoots someone in the back! What a cowardly move! I soon am unable to move my tail.

That last dart has sent toxin right into my spine...making my tail useless! I am set adrift as I watched mermaids exit their massive ship and swam with much precision. They seemed to be in a hurry.

One grabs me as I struggle, still making use of my left arm and hand.

[Calm down! I do not want to hurt you!] says the woman as I felt the strength leave me.

I find it ironic that she does not want to hurt me when she has come with her people to eradicate all mermaids and Walkers alike. I took a moment to study her as I looked at her shimmer, glowing face...her skin all gone, replaced with scales.

A dorsal fin begins from atop her skull and runs down the back, to the tip of her tail. Her neck and face were covered in multiple flaps of gills that she used to breathe. She looks more like a fish than mammal...not what I would imagine an Atlantean looking like.

For a murderous person, she seems caring, which just makes me confused as she takes me and my sisters aboard and down to an enclosure. I looked at the design of the ships interior as they combine the use of crystals and metals in their makeup for construction. Even the Atlanteans are decorated in both gold and silver with crystals hanging from their necks.

One of the Atlanteans comes over as she seems to address us.

[Please do not fear, children; we are not going to harm you. We just want to learn about you and since you are so young, remove you from harm.] she glides over to me, smiling. [We will begin with you.]

Two mermaids push the floating bed into a different room, sealing the exit. She undoes the straps as I am free to float about as I still cannot move. I felt like a victim of an alien abduction story.

[The neurotoxin will wear off in a minute or two. Please be civil when you regain function or they will subdue you again for your safety.] She warns me as I feel movement in my fingers and the muscles in my tail as she swims around me, touching my scales, tail and skin.

[What do you want?!] I asked her [Why are you doing this!?]

[Remarkable...] she comments as I finally can move, but very limited [...you are genetically built for life at sea and on land.]