Mermaid Blood

David

I sit in front of a piece of Atlantean technology that has caused me more trouble than it was worth.

The Mizu mermaids call it Atlantean technology...but that cannot be accurate...as Atlantean technology would have come from the sunken kingdom of Atlantis. And Atlantis itself was nothing more than a cautionary tale!

I felt like I was being torn in between three worlds: The supposed Atlantean, the mythological mermaid, and my own human reality. Much has transpired since I first arrived here on the Gold Coast...and within 24 hours...I had managed to attract the full attention of the Mizu Pod that wish to remain hidden at all cost!

I was being thrusted into an age-long feud between Atla and mermaids...and ending up taking a pointless job that I should never have been given...while my loyalty leans ever so closer to the mermaids that I am meant to infiltrate.

***

"I tried to put some distance between me and the Mizu Pod...but I am learning that all these locations on your map seem to be mermaid hotspots! I was told a wild tale about the Oceanid On-Land Expedition—that they are affiliated with Atlantis somehow. Is this true, Kiera?"

[I told you to be careful with whom you speak to!]

 Kiera scolds me as it wasn't that easy approaching the situation when it was the mermaids purposely approaching me! Needing a moment to clear my thoughts; not to mention -- scratch my itches -- I get up and walk away from the tablet, much to Kiera's annoyance.

[David!?]

"Making tea." I replied, taking the coffee maker out of the cabinet and filling it up with water. I then set the device on heat, scratching my itching legs, as I walked back to the tablet to continue my discussion with Kiera.

"Thanks to this darn bracelet, it gave me away! They say that it is Atlantean technology! Listen, if you want me as a partner in this job, then I need to know the full truth; before your secrets nearly kill me again!" I scolded her, bitterly "Convince me 'not' to side with the Mizu Pod! At least with them, I know where I stand."

[Very well then. You are working for a provisional government attached to the Empire of Atla, but not in association with the empire.]

[The true High Queen of Atla, OceameraGaderirus, has been missing for almost a decade and the empire has been taken over by the corrupted Steward of Atla.]

[We believe that his mission is to reclaim the crystalline satellite that the Mizu mermaids are sworn to protect, and use it against the Human population to turn every man, woman, and child on Earth, into water breathers: this is called The Fifth Phase!]

[If he succeeds, this will only bring ruin to Atla and the rest of the world! The last time a ruler tried to take over the world, Atla was swallowed by the Atlantean Ocean, about twelve thousand years ago.]

[Truth be told, I had expected and hoped that you 'would' side with the Mizu mermaids by month four, not by day one. Guess I was right in picking you to represent us.]

"Geez!" I sat there, stunned "At least lie about it!" I exhaled, so confused as I shook my head, not sure what to believe in, anymore.

'So, the enemy 'is' still Atla: Kiera, the mermaids, and I are all working towards the same goal.'