Spirit Broken

Arista

I lay on the ground, my mind thinking of all that had happened.

Walkers did this to me!

Even my own Ma and Da had turned against me! With my parents dedicated to staying here, they were indentured servants to the Australian government and local authorities. No longer could I go by the name of Colleens, even the name Arista was now known to the enemy.

If I ever go back to Ma and Da, they will hand me over to the authorities just like they had already done! I still could not believe it! For once in my long life, I have had my eyes forcefully opened to the cruelty of mankind!

Dr. Ross checked over my multiple breaks as he could not believe what had happened to me! Kasumi was pushing her hand over my broken ribs as she looked down at me, sympathetic. She didn't have to ask what had happened -- she could still smell the foul scent of the Walkers upon me.

---

"This is going to hurt a little." she says as she pushes energy into my body. I felt the broken ribs pop back in place suturing together. The broken bones in my legs and feet had fused and healed. The internal bleeding within my chest began to slowly heal.

"There is so much damage!" Kasumi remarked, taking a lot of her magic just to heal me "Were you hit by a boat?"

"I was hit by a truck...on purpose!" I said, bitterly. Any hope for me to cling onto humanity was broken like my body. However, when I looked over at Dr. Ross, all I saw was intense anger and bitter sadness.

Even Kasumi seemed shocked that the Walkers would go this far to wipe out her people. I had disobeyed and went to see Ma and Da, and they turned me over to the authorities.

"I ran for my life, chased by the police and whoever was in that black truck! They hit me and I flew only feet away from the sea. I had managed to escape into the waves before they could capture me." I cried; my face was hot with humility! "My own parents had sold me out!" Dr. Ross cradles me.

"I am sorry, Arista." he says as Kasumi goes to work on my leg. The gentleman returns with the ice as he hands it to the park director. "Thank you." he says and notices that it was dripping wet. Setting it aside, he excuses the young man back to his post as we continue this private conversation. "I am sorry you had to endure all of this, my Sheila. I did warn you against seeing your parents!"

"I have nowhere to go now!" as I am really feeling my age catch up with me. Dr. Ross smiles, glancing down at me with kind eyes.

"What about Yuzuki? Can she help?" he says, asking Kasumi.

"I was just about to offer that suggestion."

"Who is, Yuzuki?" I wondered as Kasumi finishes with my leg. With the pain gone, I was shocked! I was rapidly healed with magic!

"A friend." Kasumi answers as Dr. Ross nods and smiles lightly, seeing her more than a friend. "Could you drive us to Yuzuki's?" she asked him as he nodded, thinking it wise as I was still wearing my 'Sea World' outfit.

"Yeah, let me get my car and pull it to intake and there you two can get in without anyone seeing you depart. We should get you both quickly away from this park, as those people might come looking here, next." he says, glancing at my shirt.

"Then we should hurry! I made up a story to cover my tracks, but I doubt that they will fall for it very long." as this is a better reason to get going. Kasumi and I walk to intake, Dr. Ross has us wait inside as he fetching his car and moments later, returns as we load inside.