24. Disorder

*TW: Non Consensual Act/ Blood*

The next day, Gerard felt a little more composed, though the events of the previous night still weighed heavily on his mind. Determined to distract himself, he agreed to go out with Ray and Bert. They decided to take a stroll through the city, the bustle of people and the energy of the streets a welcome distraction from Gerard’s thoughts. As they walked, Bert tried to lighten the mood, cracking jokes and making exaggerated comments about the people they passed and Ray kept an eye on Gerard, making sure he was okay without being overbearing. Eventually, they found themselves in a small, charming café, the scent of fresh coffee and pastries wafting through the air. They settled into a cozy corner, the chatter of other patrons creating a comforting background hum. “So, Gerard,” Bert began. “What’s it like being the king’s nephew? Do you get special privileges or something?” Gerard chuckled. “It’s not as glamorous as it sounds,” he replied, taking a sip of his coffee. “My uncle’s more of a distant figurehead than an actual monarch. It’s mostly just a lot of boring formal events and expectations.”

Bert leaned back in his chair, a smirk on his face. “Come on, there’s got to be some perks. Do you get to ride around in fancy carriages or have people bow to you?” Gerard laughed, shaking his head. “No fancy carriages, and no one bows. It’s more like being invited to endless dinners with stuffy politicians and having to wear uncomfortable suits.” Ray chimed in. “But it must come with some advantages, right? Connections, influence, that sort of thing?” Gerard shrugged. “I suppose so, but it’s not something I think about much. I try to stay out of the spotlight. I prefer living a normal life, as much as I can.” Bert leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. “You’re too modest, Gee. If I were you, I’d be milking it for all it’s worth.” Gerard smiled and rolled his eyes playfully. “Trust me, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Besides, I like my privacy. And I’m not sure my uncle would appreciate me using his title to get free coffee.” They all laughed and Gerard felt a bit lighter.

“So, how’s Hayley’s pregnancy going?” Ray asked and Gerard’s heart sank a little at the question. The truth was, he barely spoke to Hayley after the argument with Frank. Their relationship had been strained, to say the least, and he felt guilty for not being more involved. He hesitated, not wanting to reveal too much to his friends. “It’s… going,” Gerard replied, trying to keep his tone light. “I haven’t really been in touch with her much lately.” Bert raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean? Isn’t she like, your wife? You should know how she’s doing, man.” Gerard sighed, running a hand through his hair. “Yeah, she is. It’s just been complicated. We had an argument, and things have been… tense. I’ve been giving her some space.” Ray’s brow furrowed in concern. “You’re going to be a dad soon, Gerard. You need to be there for her, no matter what’s going on between you two.” “I know,” Gerard said. “It’s just been hard. There’s a lot going on that you guys don’t know about. But you’re right, I need to check in on her.” Bert leaned back, crossing his arms. “Man, that sounds rough. But you’ve got to step up. If she’s carrying your kid, she needs you around.”