Ch 6

Arpine's POV

I woke up the next day more refreshed. I still felt bad for not hanging out with Marinette. I promised myself that I will hang out with her no matter what. My mom was asleep because she works the nightshift and needs to rest. I cooked breakfast for myself and fed Flairre. "Are you ready for today?"' Flairre asked. "I am. I promised myself that no matter what I will talk to Marinette today." I say. "Good." Flairre replies. I put on my outfit and grab my bag. I also grab the gift for Marinette. "Ooh. What is in the bag?" Flairre asks. " Its a gift I bought for Marinette. I got her some new fabrics and a new sketchbook. I figured she might like it because she wants to be a fashion designer. If she doesn't like the fabric she can return it." I say. " She will love it." Flairre replies. I grab my backpack and walk to the bakery. The smell of the baked goods fills my nostrils. I can feel Flairre stir in my jacket smelling the baked goods. "Good Morning Arpine. How are you?" asked Sabine. " I'm doing pretty well." I reply. I noticed Marinette walking down the stairs. " Good Morning Mari" I say. She sees me and freezes slightly. I sigh knowing that its my fault she's like this. "Mari, I am sorry for not hanging out with you." I say as we walk past the door. Sabine had given me one of her new baked goods to try and I gave a piece to Flairre secretly. " I know I have been blowing you off for Lila. Its not right since you are my cousin and I accept full responsibility for my actions." I say. " Thanks for your apology. I forgive you." says Mari and she gives me a hug. "Thank you." I reply. We walk into school and sit next to each other. "Oh. Before I forget I have something for you." I say. Before I can get the gift out, however since i had hid it in my bag, Lila comes up to us. "Hey Arpine." she says sweetly and I notice that her voice is fake. " Why don't you hang out with me today?" She asks. " Sorry Lila but I promised Marinette that I would hang out with her today." I say. " But why? I thought we were friends!" she says. " We are. But I have been neglecting to hangout with my cousin whom I haven't seen in years." I say as I wrap a arm around Mari. I noticed Lila's eyes narrow at Mari and a frown apprears on her face but its gone as quickly as it came. " What's that?" She asks noticing the gift bag. " Oh you shouldn't have! But thanks for the gift!" Lila says reaching for the bag. " Its not for you." I say sternly. " W-what? I thought you were trying to make amends." She says. "Look Lila. We can hang out some other time. But not now. Class will start soon anyway." I say fighting the urge to glare at her. " Who's the gift for then?'' She asks. "Why does it matter to you? Its not for you." I say already done with her. " I am sorry. Just trying to be nice." she replies before sulking away a few kids eyes on me. "Here Mari. The gift is for you." I say handing it to her. She opens it and smiles at the new fabric and sketchbook. I noticed out of the corner of my eye Lila glaring at us. "Thank you so much." Mari replies. She notices Lila's glare and quickly hides it in her bag. I get a uneasy feeling but let it slide. The whole day I stay at Mari's side. Lila has tried to get me to sit next to her but I denied her every time. I could tell something was brewing with her. "Thanks for the gift again." says Mari as we leave the school. " Your welcome. If you don't like the fabric you can return it." I say. " I love the fabric! Why would I return it?" She says grinning. I smile and hug her before watching her walk home before walking home myself. I catch my mom heading out to work. She gives me a kiss on the forehead before leaving. " So you kept your promise I see.'' says Flairre. " Yeah I did. I finally got to hang out with Marinette even though I got a uneasy feeling about Lila." " I had one too.'' Flairre replies. I finish my homework. " Something is up with Lila. I am going to get to the bottom if it." I say. " I agree." Flairre replies as we both finally fall asleep.