Chapter 10 - The Germany Game

After the win against Spain, the team was determined to bring a strong front to the game against Germany. After the week of training between the Spanish game and the up-and-coming Germany game, the girls were hyped to be taking on the team who they beat in the Euro final. 

"You ready?" asked Leah as she sat beside Cameryn on the bus heading to London Stadium in Stratford. 

"I'm excited for my family to see me play, hopefully, but I'm still scared of what will happen on the pitch," she responded. Cameryn was sat with her legs across Leah's lap after somehow getting the window seat once again.

"I know you're not in the Starting XI but it is only your second game for England, you'll get there eventually," responded Leah. The team had been told the Starting XI before leaving the hotel so they knew the set-up. The only change was putting Lauren James in for Chloe Kelly, which was a strategic change by Sarina to get them all decent game time. "Your mum is going to be so proud of you," continued Leah, "and your dad will be too". Cameryn looked out the window and up into the sky where she knew her dad would be looking down from.

"I hope I can make you proud," she whispered loud enough for just herself and Leah to hear. Leah smiled in response before pushing herself deeper into the chair to enjoy the rest of the ride to the stadium. 

The bus pulled up and cheering fans could be seen all around, it was an even bigger turnout than the game against Spain, which was expected since this one was at home. Even then, Cameryn was still absolutely fascinated by the insane amount of people supporting them. As they climbed off the bus people were calling their names asking for signatures and selfies.

Most people were calling out for Leah, Beth, Chloe, Ella, Alessia, or anyone but Cameryn. Except for one girl, she appeared around 16 or 17 years old. She wasn't calling out but instead stood still holding out an England home shirt with May printed on the back and a pen. Cameryn tapped Leah's hand indicating she was going to go sign the shirt.

"Be careful," said Leah as Cam began to walk away. Suddenly, the paranoid blonde appeared by Cameryn's side, "I'll wait for you, in case you get lost going inside". She shrugged and stood back allowing Cam to go talk to the girl alone.

Cheers were still coming from the fans for Leah but her full attention was on Cameryn and the fan. Cam reached out and gave the younger girl a hug before taking the pen and signing the jersey. She then took the girl's phone and they took a selfie before Leah was waved over. 

"Ava asked for one with you too, if that's okay?" asked Cameryn on behalf of the girl. 

"Nice to meet you, Ava," spoke Leah as she took the phone to take the selfie. "You excited for the game?" she asked further.

"Yes, it is going to be insane. I haven't been to a game before so I hope it goes well."

The girls said goodbye before parting ways and heading into the stadium and further into the locker room. For the second time ever, Cameryn saw her jersey hung on the wall, number 8. 

"It's as beautiful as the first time," said Cam as she admired her name and number hanging on the wall.

"Trust me, it feels like that every time," replied Leah as she guided the brunette over to the cubby. They took a seat side by side in the cubby. Cam changed into her shorts and the warm-up shirt before beginning to tape her ankles. One at a time she wrapped them in the CM and JM engraved tape, she began to slide her socks on before Leah stopped her.

"Don't forget the new tradition," she spoke. Leah pulled a pen out of her pocket and wrote 'DAD' on Cameryn's right ankle. She began to move to the left ankle where Cameryn snatched the pen away from her.