Chapter 11 - The Australia Game

The team was on an all-time high, adrenaline was pumping after beating Spain and Germany. The trip to Australia was a smooth one, and although nerves still flooded Cameryn's mind, the support from Leah made the flight more bearable. Arriving at the hotel felt so surreal to Cameryn, she'd been to Australia once before but this time she was with some of her closest friends ready to represent her country on an international stage.

"Leah, do you have my Arsenal hoodie?" asked Cameryn.

"If you mean my Arsenal hoodie that I gave you, then yes," she said. Leah had given the girl an Arsenal hoodie as well as a jersey because it made her feel happy and at home in the red and white. "Why do you even need it, it's like 25 degrees?" It was now late October and the girls had landed in Brisbane making it a completely different climate.

"Umm, never mind. Quick question, what night is our game again?" asked Cam.

"Sunday, the 29th. It's only Thursday so we have a few days before the game, why?" responded Leah.

"You know how I told you that my dad died late October, well it was the 29th, and Sunday is going to be 10 years without him."

Leah's heart physically broke for the younger girl, reaching out to hug her as Cameryn broke down into tears. Leah's arms held Cam's waist tightly while the brunette's arms fell over Leah's shoulders. The blonde could hear Cameryn sobbing into her neck attempting to shield herself from the pain.

"I've got you, love," Leah spoke as she swayed the pair side to side. "On Sunday, you play for him, and you show the world how much he means to you." Leah placed a kiss on the side of Cameryn's head as the sobbing began to slow. 

Leah grabbed Cameryn's Arsenal hoodie and gestured for her to put her arms in the air. Cam complied and the hoodie was slipped onto her body. She then snuggled back into Leah's arms hoping that all her pain would go away. 

Leah's phone began to ring but she ignored it, "you can take that if you want," said Cameryn still clinging to Leah.

She pulled her phone out of her back pocket, "it's Jonas," she said, "I kind of need to take it". Cam took this as her indicator to let go and climbed into her bed, they had gotten two separate beds like they had in Spain. "I'll be back in just a second," Leah promised as she stepped out into the hallway.

Out in the Hallway

"Hi Jonas," spoke Leah into the phone.

"Hi Leah, how have you been?" he responded from the other end of the phone. 

"Good thanks, how can I help you?" she asked hoping to hurry the conversation along to return to Cameryn.

"I have a few questions about the new English player, May, is it?" he asked slightly unsure.

"Cameryn May?" she asked in response just to double-check they were talking of the same player.

"That's the one," he continued, "I heard she's floating in the transfer market, is that true?" 

"Yeah, she's looking for a new club, but hopefully still in England," replied Leah.

"Do you think Arsenal would be of interest to her?" asked Jonas.

Leah's heart stopped for a moment as she tried not to drop her phone. "Are you serious Jonas?" she asked slightly taken aback. 

"Yes, I'm looking for another midfielder and with the relationships she's already developing with you, Lotte, Beth and Alessia, as well as the others of course, she seems like she'd be a great asset. I'll assess her game against Australia and dependent on her demonstration of skills in that game will most likely make her an offer."