(6)

-

-

"Motherfucker"

-

Tony, Steve, and Jaime were seated around the table in the main room, while Fury stood in front of them, holding a stack of Captain America cards in his hands. Jaime winced as she touched the sore area around her bruised ribs.

"These were found in Phil Coulson's jacket. It seems he never managed to get you to sign them," Fury remarked, tossing the blood-stained cards onto the table near Steve, who picked one up.

"We're dead in the air up here. Our communication, the location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I've got nothing for you. I've lost my one good eye," Fury shook his head with a saddened smile. "Maybe I had it coming."

"Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that one number, though, because i was playing something even riskier." He said circling around the table.

"There was an idea, Stark knows this. It's called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to. To fight the battles we never could," Fury continued before he paused, looking at Stark who was fidgeting with his hands.

"Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea. In heroes," Fury added, to which Stark abruptly stood up, staring forward before walking off, looking over the Helicarrier. Jaime grunted as she stood up and walked after Tony.

"Well, it's an old fashioned notion." Fury sighed.

>>>

"Clint, you're going to be alright," Natasha said, her voice calm as Agent Barton struggled against the restraints, shaking his head aggressively.

"You know that? Is that what you know?" he said, fighting against Loki internally.

"I've got no window, i have to flush him out." he whispered, pressing his head back against the bed.

"You've got to level out. It's gonna take time." Natasha said, pouring hot water into a teacup.

"You don't understand," Clint said weakly. "Have you ever had someone take your brain and play?" he asked, panting.

"Pull you out and stuff something else in?" he said, staring at the ceiling. "Do you know what it's like to be unmade?" he asked, looking up at Natasha.

"You know that I do." Natasha said, looking down at him.

"Why am I back?" Clint asked. "How'd you get him out?"

"Cognitive recalibration. Jaime hit you really hard in the head." Natasha answered, sitting beside him on the med bed.

"Tell her I said thanks." he said, looking into her eyes as she removed the restraints.