(21)

WITH THE AVENGERS

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said peace wasn't an achievement; it was a responsibility," Fury declared, gazing at a picture of Alexander Pierce. The remaining two Avengers, along with Maria and Sam, were seated around the table, their expressions grim.

"You see, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues," Fury added, tossing the picture onto the table with disdain.

"We have to stop the launch," Natasha asserted urgently.

"I don't think the council's accepting my calls anymore," Fury replied dryly, opening a black case containing three chips, each holding critical information or tools for their mission ahead.

"What's that?" Sam questioned, eyeing the chips with curiosity.

"Once the Helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight's satellites, becoming fully weaponized," Maria explained, swiveling a small computer around to display the information to everyone at the table.

"We need to reach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Fury declared.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die," Maria added, her voice laced with urgency.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them, insert these server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left." Fury began.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D." Steve interjected, cutting Fury off. Anger resonated in his voice, underscoring the gravity of their mission and the betrayal they felt.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. had nothing to do with this," Fury retorted.

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. S.H.I.E.L.D. has been compromised; you said it yourself, HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed," Steve countered.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed," Nick responded.

"How many paid the price before you did?" Steve pressed.

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes," Fury admitted with a sigh.

"Even if you had, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too?" Steve questioned.

"S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, it all goes," the blonde asserted.

"He's right," Maria chimed in.

Fury glanced at Natasha, who sat back with a mix of anger and concern, her thoughts undoubtedly with Jaime but aligned with Steve's stance.

"Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower," Sam added when Nick turned his gaze toward him.

"Well, it looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain," Fury conceded, leaning back in his chair, acknowledging the shift in leadership and the gravity of the situation they now faced.

Outside, Steve gazed over the river from the bridge.

"They're gonna be there, you know?" Sam said, approaching Steve and referring to Bucky and Jaime.

"I know." Steve responded quietly.

"Look, whoever he used to be and the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop." Sam advised Steve.

"I don't know if I can do that." the blonde admitted, his voice filled with conflict.

"Well, he might not give you a choice." Sam replied.

"He doesn't know you." he added.

"He will." Steve stated with conviction.

"Gear up, it's time." he announced, turning to walk away.

"You're gonna wear that?" Sam asked, eyeing Steve's civilian attire skeptically.

"No. If you're gonna fight a war, you've got to wear a uniform." Steve replied,

[551]

A LITTLE CHAPTER INBETWEEN CHAPTERS