(9)

-

-

"Sorry, love, but I don't swing for your team."

-

Jaime walked up to the buildings edge of the , gazing down she spotted the scepter just a level below. Without hesitation, she teleported down, seized the spear before teleporting back to where Natasha and Dr. Selvig stood.

Natasha took the scepter from Jaime's hand and advanced toward the source. "Right in the crown!" Selvig exclaimed, stationed behind a computer with Jaime by his side.

Natasha felt a slight resistance as she pushed the scepter through the outer barrier. Jaime squinted, her hand shielding her eyes from the shining blue light as she attempted to see beyond it.

"I can close it." Natasha stated. "Does anybody copy? I can shut the portal down."

"Do it!" Steve yelled over the noise through the comms.

"No, wait." Tony voiced.

"Stark, these things are still coming." Steve argued.

"I got a nuke coming in. It's gonna blow in less than a minute, and i know just where to put it." Tony continued.

"Tony, you know that's a one-way trip," Jaime said, her voice laced with concern as she jogged up to the edge of the building. She watched Tony approach with the nuke before he abruptly veered upwards, heading straight for the portal.

As Tony disappeared through the portal, the Chitauri surrounding them began to collapse, lifeless bodies dropping to the ground. The massive Leviathan, too, started to power down, crashing into buildings on its descent before finally going limp.

Everyone stood in shock, their eyes fixed on the sky, waiting for Tony to reappear.

"Come on, Tony" Natasha mumbled

"Close it," Steve spoke, his voice heavy with sadness.

"No, we can't just leave him there," Jaime said, panic creeping into her voice.

"He's not coming back down, Jaime," Natasha said, sadness shadowing her face.

"You don't know that!" Jaime protested.

"Natasha, close it," Steve commanded.

Natasha cast Jaime a pleading glance before pushing the spear with one final push into the Tesseract, causing the portal to slowly close.

Jaime looked down, tears filling her eyes, her heart heavy with the thought that Tony might not return to Earth. Until Natasha nudged her shoulder. "Jaime, look," Natasha said, pointing up at the sky where they saw a suit falling from the heavens.

"Son of a gun," Steve muttered with a relieved smile, while Jaime shook her head, gazing up at Tony.

"He's not slowing down." Jaime and Thor stated simultaneously as Thor swung his hammer, preparing to take off.